Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 5.56 opinions wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 5.56 opinions wanted

I took my new Stag Model 2 out to the range with a hundred round box of .223 55 grain FMJ I bought from A&A at the time of purchase.

BTW, A&A is a great place to deal with.

Never having fired a long gun before, by the time I got down to my last two four shot groups I had dialed my scope in to be about an 1 1/2" low, but the groups were 2" and 1 1/2", so I was pretty psyched about that performance. This is at 100 yds. with a Leupold 3-9x40.

Second time out, could barely find paper on my 6"x10" targets @100 yds. Someone there that saw my performance the previous week asked my what I changed. I had to run to a local sporting goods store and they had limited selection and crappy prices, but I was still waiting on an internet order, so I had no choice, buy what was there or no shooting the next day.

This second box was 5.56, also 55 gr FMJ.

So I see that ammo selection is pretty critical if one is looking for good range performance.

My rifle is chambered in 5.56 NATO. Does that mean .223 is not optimal for peak ballistic performance and accuracy? That first box of .223 performed very well...

Given my requirements (consistent accuracy as inexpensively as possible), does anyone have a particular recommendation?

Thanks,
Blue1

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1115 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Your rifle will digest 223 just fine. Most boxed 55gr FMJ isn't going to impress you with group size.If you want to shoot smaller groups it'll probably take some better ammo,like some match grade stuff.
Also,your rifle is new,and it sometimes takes a few hundred rds to get the barrel to shoot good.Clean the barrel often for the first couple hundred rounds,and don't get the barrel too hot before letting it cool off.

Stag makes a decent firearm,it should serve you well for years.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's a 1:9 twist, would it be best to use 55 grain?

Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1115 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1 View Post
It's a 1:9 twist, would it be best to use 55 grain?
A 1-9 will shoot 69gr great.Hornady also makes a 75gr Match bullet for 1-9 twist,but I don't know if they have any factory loads with it.
I load all of my own bullets.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-21-2011, 03:51 AM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
I took my new Stag Model 2 out to the range with a hundred round box of .223 55 grain FMJ I bought from A&A at the time of purchase.

BTW, A&A is a great place to deal with.

Never having fired a long gun before, by the time I got down to my last two four shot groups I had dialed my scope in to be about an 1 1/2" low, but the groups were 2" and 1 1/2", so I was pretty psyched about that performance. This is at 100 yds. with a Leupold 3-9x40.

Second time out, could barely find paper on my 6"x10" targets @100 yds. Someone there that saw my performance the previous week asked my what I changed. I had to run to a local sporting goods store and they had limited selection and crappy prices, but I was still waiting on an internet order, so I had no choice, buy what was there or no shooting the next day.

This second box was 5.56, also 55 gr FMJ.

So I see that ammo selection is pretty critical if one is looking for good range performance.

My rifle is chambered in 5.56 NATO. Does that mean .223 is not optimal for peak ballistic performance and accuracy? That first box of .223 performed very well...

Given my requirements (consistent accuracy as inexpensively as possible), does anyone have a particular recommendation?

Thanks,
Blue1
Could have been the different ammo, new barrel, etc but I like to start at the simple explanation...did you dismount the scope between range sessions, did it loose zero? .223 in a 5.56 chambered barrel will give up some accuracy but not to the extent you describe. Going from 1.5-2 MOA to +6 MOA is way beyond a change in ammo. A 1:9 will handle pretty much anything but the heaviest bullets, try some 62 gr green tips and see if the accuracy improves.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 11-21-2011 at 03:53 AM.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Could have been the different ammo, new barrel, etc but I like to start at the simple explanation...did you dismount the scope between range sessions, did it loose zero? .223 in a 5.56 chambered barrel will give up some accuracy but not to the extent you describe. Going from 1.5-2 MOA to +6 MOA is way beyond a change in ammo. A 1:9 will handle pretty much anything but the heaviest bullets, try some 62 gr green tips and see if the accuracy improves.
There was a little more wind the second day. The scope had not been unmounted.

Blue1

Old 11-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1105 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 634

another question. with that big a difference it could be entirely possible you did not have the same shooting posture. and that depends on what scope mount you have. is it in rings attached to the flat top? is it mounted above the irons? ive noticed with my scope sometimes me having my cheek weld just a little off throws my bullets all over. i have a stag model 4 and love mine. when i do my part it shoots really nice. i have irons w a scope mounted above. its not the best but it provides what i wanted as far as sights.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's an AR-specific scope and AR specific-mount; it just clears the rear flip up sight.

I was seated at a table with a carpeted barrel rest, with my elbow on the table in a comfortable position.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 AM   #9

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
It's an AR-specific scope and AR specific-mount; it just clears the rear flip up sight.

I was seated at a table with a carpeted barrel rest, with my elbow on the table in a comfortable position.
If you have front and rear BUIS shoot a few groups at 25 & 50 yards on open sights using several ammo types. If the groups hold true move out to 75, 100, etc. If the groups stay close, i.e. 2-3 MOA then you and the rifle are doing your part. Rezero the scope and shoot a few groups mixing up the ammo...if it opens up again the scope, rings or mount are faulty.

BTW, how is the eye relief? Do you get the same cheekweld off hand and from the bench?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington