Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 5.56 or .223 that is good and cheap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default 5.56 or .223 that is good and cheap?

Can anyone recomend a brand of either 5.56 or .223 that is resonably priced, easy to get, and is capable of delivering consistant groups? I have tried a few different brands ranging in price from $20 for a box of 20 to $6.56 a box of 20. As we all know, there is always a difference between ammo, I am looking to buy one brand, of one type, and store up over time. I am a Vet. going to school, and surviving on just my G.I.Bill and V.A. disability check, until I can finish school next year. So budget is important, since it is quite limited, but I want something that is consistant. Any suggestions?

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

go to Academy Sports and get there brand, Monarch .... the brass ones, for about $7 a box

Old 07-14-2008, 02:25 AM   #3

Learn to reload....

SEMPER FI

Old 07-14-2008, 05:37 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Dillinger suggested these guys: http://www.surplusammo.com/

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #5

You may want to check out Ultra Max. They remanufacture ammo so the brass is usually a mixed up box of various brands, but the bullets are always of the same brand. They offer quite a few bullet weights and types for .223. I have used a ton of thier 9mm ammo with good results.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 07-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I have had real good luck with black hills blue box ammo.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
You may want to check out Ultra Max. They remanufacture ammo so the brass is usually a mixed up box of various brands, but the bullets are always of the same brand. They offer quite a few bullet weights and types for .223. I have used a ton of thier 9mm ammo with good results.
+1 on the Ultramax. They're very reliable, reasonably clean, and perfectly acceptable for plinking. But they are NOT target rounds. If you want less than 1 MOA, you might want something a little more upscale.

Lt.Underhill is right: reloading would ultimately be the cheapest way to go to get exactly what you want.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2589 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

+100 on reloading. My ammo is consistant 1/2 minute in my HBAR and 3/4 minute in my carbine.
IF you choose to go with reloads like ultra max, sort by head stamp. Different thicknesses of the brass will yield different pressures and different velocities. Generally the powder charge is consistant, the brass is the variable. If you unbox (unbag) the ammo and separate by head stamp (manufacturer) it creates individual lots that will shoot nearer to each other. Put the Rem cases in one box, the Win cases in another box, the FC, LC, TW, PMC etc cases in their own boxes