5.56/.223 ammo suggestions?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 5.56/.223 ammo suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 5.56/.223 ammo suggestions?

Hi all - I'm looking for a few suggestions on cheap 5.56/.223 ammunition to use in my AR. I have typically been using American Eagle Tactical, which is about .38 cents a round. I'd love it if I could get some DECENT ammo for around the .28-.30 cents per round. (also, I'm not interested in re-loading at this point in time). So i want something around that price that is still going to be dependable. Wolf ammo is definitely cheap, but from the other reviews on Wolf ammo, does not seem to be good at all as everyone experiences misfires every 5-6 rounds. How about MBI (Military Ballistics Industries)? Brass casing, boxed primer. I can't seem to find many online reviews about this product though. Anyone have any experience with this brand of ammo?

Any other suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I don't use Wolf myself but I know a lot of users and they have not experienced any problems with Wolf.

I use AE, PMC Bronze, Federal bulk. Buy it by the case of 1k and it usually averages out to .30 cents a round, then save the brass and sell it to a reloader.
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Check these...

Ammunition To Go : 500rds - .223 DRS 55gr. FMJ Ammo [DRS223FMJ] - $144.95

.223 55 Grain FMJ-BT Federal American Eagle - 500 Rounds, Bulk - Surplus Ammo

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 06-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #4

Liked 1299 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 624

I've shot Wolf,and other brands of steel caased ammo out of all of my 223's for many years with absolutely no problems.

Most people that have problems with Wolf were shooting the old style Laquer coated cases,and didn't clean their guns like they should when shooting that type of ammo.I probably have 10k rds of Wolf stocked up in ammo cans.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #5

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 830

PMC bronze is very good. I see on sale online quite often. At least you get good reloadable brass.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I tried Tula ammo once in a barrel with less than 500 rounds through it. Cleaned right after the previous range trip, and I was getting FTE after 100 rounds. GARBAGE. Tula is another name for Wolf. Kind of like American Eagle is Federal. I stick with nothing but American Eagle now and I'm saving all the brass for when I get reloading equipment.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have fired thousands of rounds of, wolf-tula- herters- its all the same thing. I went to a combative carbine coarse and shot over 800 rounds in 4 hours w/o one failure. Most people bash it, and yes its not the most accurate but for punching holes in paper it works just fine as long as you clean you rifle when you are done.

Although the more of you that dont buy it the price will stay down, so you should really stay away from it.