.45ACP with small primer pockets?????
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .45ACP with small primer pockets?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .45ACP with small primer pockets?????

after picking up my brass at the range, and apparantly some other's, I found I had 15 cases stamped FEDERAL 45 AUTO but requiring small primers instead of large. Does anyone know what's up with that?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Cost savings is why federal does it.

I find it annoying. I seperate them out and at some point when i get enough from range pickups ill either run a batch or trade em off for other brass.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #3

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

For reloading these cases I wonder if a magnum small pistol primer should be used? I thought about loading some of these cases in the low range and try them with both primers to see how they perform.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Federal and Speer both have some of the .45's are small pistol primed. I believe the small primers are Lead Free. As the .45 is the only traditionally large pistol primed cartridge they load with lead free/non toxic primers. Using small pistol primers on these permits them to only have to make one kind of non-toxic primers.

I segregate these cases and load them when large primers are hard to find. Mag primers do not seem to be necessary. They shoot just fine with standard primers

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball