Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Ammunition & Reloading (
-   -   .45ACP with small primer pockets????? (

v-man 03-21-2012 12:42 PM

.45ACP with small primer pockets?????
after picking up my brass at the range, and apparantly some other's, I found I had 15 cases stamped FEDERAL 45 AUTO but requiring small primers instead of large. Does anyone know what's up with that?

JonM 03-21-2012 01:31 PM

Cost savings is why federal does it.

I find it annoying. I seperate them out and at some point when i get enough from range pickups ill either run a batch or trade em off for other brass.

BlueTurf 03-21-2012 02:46 PM

For reloading these cases I wonder if a magnum small pistol primer should be used? I thought about loading some of these cases in the low range and try them with both primers to see how they perform.

robocop10mm 03-21-2012 11:12 PM

Federal and Speer both have some of the .45's are small pistol primed. I believe the small primers are Lead Free. As the .45 is the only traditionally large pistol primed cartridge they load with lead free/non toxic primers. Using small pistol primers on these permits them to only have to make one kind of non-toxic primers.

I segregate these cases and load them when large primers are hard to find. Mag primers do not seem to be necessary. They shoot just fine with standard primers