Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .45acp for hogs and cougars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If I were hunting hogs from a stand, I'd use that .30-06 and take the scope off of it. Use it like it was intended. I sure as hell would not want to have to track down a hog wounded with a .45.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #12

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill
If I were hunting hogs from a stand, I'd use that .30-06 and take the scope off of it. Use it like it was intended. I sure as hell would not want to have to track down a hog wounded with a .45.
I give up.
image-24663056.jpg  

Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #13

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

A rancher friend shot a lion this week at very close range. He had dismounted his horse when a rather large Mtn. Lion advanced from a stand of Juniper. He engaged the cat with the first round from a .40 Caliber auto the lion contnued to advance. The lion fell stone dead at his feet with 5 rounds in his body. It is one thing to kill a treed cat quite another to take one in attack mode.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #14

Liked 1280 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Hogs are tough, and when injured can be mean. .45 is not a good idea. If you are going to hunt, hunt with something that can provide a clean kill, or don't hunt.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #15

If you are determined to hunt with a .45, then use a real .45, such as my Smith 25-5 in .45 Colt. It carries enough energy to get the job done. The ACP with only 400 or so foot pounds of energy is just not the critter to stop either a hog or a mountain cat if it has determination on its mind.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life

Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5454 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

i carry a 45 xdm as my hunting backup and feel safe enough in hog land with it. i use fmj loaded to max safe loads similar to buffalo bore. when shooting animals expansion isnt that important its always shot placement regardless of caliber. shoot a big cat off center with a 44 and he will keep coming just as much as an off center with a 45. hit him in the vitals with either and he will stop, hopefully before doing a lot of damage.

critters intent on eating you seldom stop in one shot regardless. 45acp is adequate for anything in north america backup wise short of a moose elk bear intent on stomping you flat.

there are 460 rowland conversions for xd/xdm which would be ideal for a defensive anti-animal gun. http://460rowland.com/springfield-armory-xd-45/

but just like self defense anywhere else, rule 1 is: have a gun. if all you got is less than ideal its better than a stick...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
Hogs are tough, and when injured can be mean. .45 is not a good idea. If you are going to hunt, hunt with something that can provide a clean kill, or don't hunt.
Once agin.
image-1933690012.jpg  

Old 12-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
i carry a 45 xdm as my hunting backup and feel safe enough in hog land with it. i use fmj loaded to max safe loads similar to buffalo bore. when shooting animals expansion isnt that important its always shot placement regardless of caliber. shoot a big cat off center with a 44 and he will keep coming just as much as an off center with a 45. hit him in the vitals with either and he will stop, hopefully before doing a lot of damage.

critters intent on eating you seldom stop in one shot regardless. 45acp is adequate for anything in north america backup wise short of a moose elk bear intent on stomping you flat.

there are 460 rowland conversions for xd/xdm which would be ideal for a defensive anti-animal gun. http://460rowland.com/springfield-armory-xd-45/

but just like self defense anywhere else, rule 1 is: have a gun. if all you got is less than ideal its better than a stick...
Thank you lord finally something I can work with lol. I'm glad you read the other post. I can always count on you. I have ben looking at the .460 conversion but I don't have the time or the money to get it. I was thanking the buffalo bore fmj +p. should I use the hard cast or just the regular fmj

Old 12-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1794 Times on 1054 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
The problem is at the moment .45 is my only choice. So I guess I'm going to go with some buffalo bore 230 +p fmj.
If that is all you have use it, but as stated by many already it is not the 'weapon of choice' when it comes to hogs. Make the 06 do the job for you!
Have a good hunt!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #20

If you are going to go with the hot and heavy loads, then get an appropriate rated spring to absorb that recoil. You might want to go 18 or 19 pounds. I would just take the scope off the rifle and use the iron sights. BTW, where are you going to find both feral hogs and mountain kitties at the same time?

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life