Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   .45acp (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/45acp-86587/)

mymaro 03-15-2013 03:27 AM

.45acp

So i just got into reloading and just picked up a rcbs 3 die set and was decapping and resizing my first batch and noticed some cases had small primers and most had large primers. Can i use small pistol primers in those?

gr8oldguy 03-15-2013 03:45 AM

You need to be careful with 45, some are large, some are small and they are NOT interchangeable. The small primers will fall out of the lp hole and the lp not fit the sp. You need to sort your brass...and be careful. I reload 45 and have that problem.

JonM 03-15-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mymaro (Post 1176645)
So i just got into reloading and just picked up a rcbs 3 die set and was decapping and resizing my first batch and noticed some cases had small primers and most had large primers. Can i use small pistol primers in those?

Yes. Just do two different priming runs. I typically save my small primer brass for times when i cant pickup brass easily like hunting trips and such. Losing some annoying to load brass is no biggee in such cases

mymaro 03-16-2013 03:36 AM

Okay next question how much of the case do you flare?

Missouribound 03-16-2013 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8oldguy (Post 1176668)
You need to be careful with 45, some are large, some are small and they are NOT interchangeable. The small primers will fall out of the lp hole and the lp not fit the sp. You need to sort your brass...and be careful. I reload 45 and have that problem.

Any idea why that is? Is it a different round type or a different mfg.? I haven't run across that yet.

JonM 03-16-2013 03:40 AM

Just barely enough to get a bullet started. I like them to be able to sit on the case mouth with out much fiddling to get em square

Axxe55 03-16-2013 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouribound (Post 1177631)
Any idea why that is? Is it a different round type or a different mfg.? I haven't run across that yet.

the ones i have run across with the small primers are the reloadable brass CCI Blazer ammo. there may be others out there, but so far these are the only ones i have seen so far.

Holmes375 03-16-2013 04:28 AM

Small primers are becoming more common with some of the "clean" ammo manufactured with indoor range application in mind.

rockratt 03-16-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mymaro (Post 1177630)
Okay next question how much of the case do you flare?

Just enough to start a bullet. Jacketed bullets dont take much but if you are using copper coated or lead they require a liitle more. You will want to crimp just enough to remove the flair.

sdiver35 03-16-2013 11:28 AM

Yep, I think Federal also has some small primer .45ACP too. I sort mine while sizing and de-capping. Large go in a tub ready for priming and smalls go in a cartridge holder. When I get 100 smalls I switch over and prime them. Then switch back to large prior to charging.

As others have said, flare just enough for the bullet to sit in the case opening. Not too much as it can set the bullet too deep.