.458 Socom. Preferrece in bullets. Jacket, solid copper, etc
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .458 Socom. Preferrece in bullets. Jacket, solid copper, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .458 Socom. Preferrece in bullets. Jacket, solid copper, etc

I might be shifting gears to build a .458 Socom whisper rifle. I notice the ammo is out of sight (don't have too many big bores) so I would reload. I also happen to own a cnc lathe and considering machining my own bullets. Also being an aerospace engineer, I would take the design pretty serious.

I am just curious what the preference is on bullet compositions. I am leaning towards solid copper or bronze but I would really like to inject lead in a perfect world to get my density up. I am not as concerned with an "exploding" round (mushroom, frag, etc), I am primarily working on a round that will be accurate at out over 200M. I might later design a bullet with a ballistic tip.

Last edited by fastline; 02-02-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 374

my preference is the 350grn jacketed soft point round nose. but i use mine for deer pigs yotes. i dont have any supressors

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #3

Is that due to price or the exansive property of the jacketed soft point?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastline View Post
Is that due to price or the exansive property of the jacketed soft point?
Sorry I missed your reply.

I like them because I use them in my 458 winmag. The socom load I use is only 250 fps slower than my favorite winmag load. I don't know how well it expands as I've always had pass throughs on deer. Never recovered one.

Even the worst hit from my nikon scope being off to the right by nearly a foot resulting in a shot in front of the rear leg and under the spine resulted in an instant kill. No bones were hit.

I've read its a great bear or moose bullet as well. I've never shot either myself

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You cant find one that works for you from this?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello