.45 FMJ for Home Defense - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

.45 FMJ for Home Defense


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK.
Posts: 2,062
Liked 845 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Don't ever here of a .45 under penetrating. And regardless to what people say over penetration is a bad thing unless you are hunting and trying to get 2 for 1.


A criticism you often here of 9mm FMJ is over penetration. A 9mm expanding round stopped a inch from heart of one guy in the Miami shoot out. A FMJ round would of being more likely to reach his heart. Does .45 penetrate more than 9mm. ?
manta is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2922 Times on 1720 Posts

Default

What do you think?
__________________
I don't need No stinking signature.
mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
6shootersandw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 80
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I just went out to my local guns shop and bought some hollow points. They only had one box of Federal .45 185 grains. I want 230 grain but that's all they had. They don't stock much of it because people think it's illegal in NJ.
__________________
Ruger Target .22
Springfield Armory XDM .45 5.25
Beretta 92FS
6shootersandw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lbwar15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,016
Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
What do you think?
Lol. Well more weight equals more momentom so like he said what do you think.
lbwar15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK.
Posts: 2,062
Liked 845 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Lol. Well more weight equals more momentom so like he said what do you think.
I thought the extra velocity of 9mm would have a factor when it comes to penetration. But it seems by your reply its just weight. I suppose i can't be right all the time. So .45 is more likely to over penetrate than 9mm because of the extra weight of the .45 round. I will remember that the next time people criticise the 9mm for over penetrating.
Strange the 9mm has penetrated deeper in the chart bellow. Even with the extra momentum of the heaver .45 round.
wound-ballistics-pic-2.jpg  

Last edited by manta; 08-20-2012 at 07:17 PM.
manta is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 6,165
Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6shootersandw View Post
I understand now why I should use Hollow points at home now. What hollow points do you guys recommend?
Either HP's or FMJ's in a 230 grain .45 ACP round will do the job and should stay in the goblin.

Though I dont plan on misses or "poor hits", I do personally choose HP's, "just in case".

I like the 230 grain Federal Hydra Shocks myself BUT that's mainly because they hit to point of aim and group better that "any other" HP loads in my particular gun.

There are many newer designs on the market and I'm personally interested in the new Power R Ball rounds...I think there Hornady?

The logic is that the nylon ball that caps the HP aids feeding and prevents the cavity from filling with clothing fibers which can prevent expansion.

The crucial element is to test fire several and pick the one that's 100% reliable, hits POA/POI and gives you the tightest group.

Yes, 4 or 5 boxes of defensive ammo is spendy but worth the peace of mind.

Tack
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lbwar15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,016
Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
I thought the extra velocity of 9mm would have a factor when it comes to penetration. But it seems by your reply its just weight. I suppose i can't be right all the time.
Look it up. A 230gr bullet retains more velocity than a 125. And.when you start adding bones to it heavier
Bullets are better. And remember what happened after Miami. The FBI tested and went with a bigger bullet. Not a 9mm fmj I'm guessing there is a reason for that.
lbwar15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK.
Posts: 2,062
Liked 845 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Look it up. A 230gr bullet retains more velocity than a 125. And.when you start adding bones to it heavier
Bullets are better. And remember what happened after Miami. The FBI tested and went with a bigger bullet. Not a 9mm fmj I'm guessing there is a reason for that.
Yes the reason rather than blame the FBI-s poor tactics. Going to a rifle fight with handguns ect they blamed the 9mm.
Of the question a bit. My point a hit from a FMJ .45 will be effective if put in the right place plus feeds better in some .45 pistols. That leaves over penetration their are no guarantees any bullet can over penetrate FMJ of other.

PS. For self defence here you are allowed FMJ only. And a largest caliber of 9mm.
manta is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lbwar15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,016
Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta

Yes the reason rather than blame the FBI-s poor tactics. Going to a rifle fight with handguns ect they blamed the 9mm.
Of the question a bit. My point a hit from a FMJ .45 will be effective if put in the right place plus feeds better in some .45 pistols. That leaves over penetration their are no guarantees any bullet can over penetrate FMJ of other.

PS. For self defence here you are allowed FMJ only. And a largest caliber of 9mm.
Yes it will be effective if in the right place. Butt so will a bb gun. A hp only really over pen if the cavity gets clogged causing it to act as a fmj. My advise if your gun doesn't eat what you feed it it's time to replace it. And that's normally some 1911 that don't like HP's. That's only bc its 100 year old technology. And any good quality 1911 will feed them just fine.

And that sucks you can only have 9mm fmj. But that's not helping your argument. I'm betting the only reason you can have up to 9mm fmj is bc it's not very devastating.
lbwar15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lbwar15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,016
Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default

Butt look at it like this why do police use HP over FMJ?
lbwar15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Home defense marlin-owner Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 43 07-17-2012 01:37 PM
Home defense ShagNasty1001 General Shotgun Discussion 11 04-26-2012 10:18 AM
AR for home defense? fins59 AR-15 Discussion 30 12-08-2011 11:33 PM
Home Defense Dog? 6shooterjunction Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 173 04-18-2011 07:15 PM
10/22 for home defense Nozzlehead Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 41 03-12-2011 02:32 AM



Newest Threads