Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 45 cal issue.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 45 cal issue.

Hi everyone.
I reloaded some 45 acp +p small primer cases with 7 grains of power pistol, and 230 grain lasercut lead round nose bullets. I fired 2 with apparently no difficulty, then the slide completely jammed. I was finally able to get it to move, and found that the casing that was in the gun was in fact loaded.
When I fired this round, the slide locked open, as I'd removed the mag. I didn't fire any more of those, but did fire some 200 grain copper plated rounds with the same powder and amount again without issues.
The gun is a Para Ordinance P14 and has only had about 500 rounds put through it.
Anyone have any ideas as to what would cause the slide to jam given the above info.
Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It could be that your firearm is just getting broken in or it could be that it doesn't like that ammunition for some reason.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Check the ammo in the pulled barrel to see if it chambers correctly. Since it is handlopaded ammo, that is the first thing to check.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #4

Thanks robocop, That was my job this morning.
What I found, was that because of the way the bullet was shaped, It wasn't seating properly.
Now I truly understand why you measure from the ogive rather than being totally dependant upon OAL for a bullet weight/shape.
I took a picture with my phone to show what I mean.
Hopefully it's clear enough to show the detail.
I bullet on the left is what properly fits in the barrel.
The center, because of the rim, was keeping the bullet from seating completely.
The bullet on the right was what I initially used to figure the OAL based on my barrel.
Thanks everyone for your responses.
I truly appreciate !

imag0150-600px.jpg  

Old 01-11-2012, 04:26 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

You should use two empty cases to create two inert (no powder or primer) dummy rounds. You use these to set each die. Then you use them to play with seating depth and crimp.
Use your barrel to be sure the bullet's ogive isn't hitting the rifling/lede and the crimp is removed enough to permit complete chambering.
Then you use them to be sure they fit your magazine, feed and chamber. Then, load about 10-20 rounds and verify them at the range.
Finally, the picture, fuzzy as it is, looks more like a roll crimp than a taper crimp.
Your brass is too shiny, it is blinding me...

Old 01-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #6

Combination of Ultrasonic then Walnut. I likes it shiny !
Thanks, It's actually just crimped using the factory crimp die.
Sorry about the fuzzy picture. I was too lazy to pull out my camera, and opted for my phone instead.
Handy for sure, but quality certainly lacks.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, reminds me of some .45ACP I bought from a reloader buddy years ago, before I began loading. He didn't trim the lead at the case mouth, and it was 'messy'. I had to trim the lead from it before it would chamber. Last I bought from him, and what got me into loading for myself!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #8

I've seen this before the bullet is still moving when the crimp was being made and shaves a small amount of lead and then is crimped tight to case mouth. 2000 rounds of this , the fix I came up was j chuck a empty brass in my cordless. Drill and cut the lead off live and learn

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

let no talents go unused

Old 01-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfireart View Post
I've seen this before the bullet is still moving when the crimp was being made and shaves a small amount of lead and then is crimped tight to case mouth.
The Factory Crimp Die almostgem is using eliminates the movement while seating, the bullet is seated in a separate/previous operation in the seating die. You're right though if he were using a conventional seat & crimp die. That's why I never liked seating/crimping in the same step. It just seemed wrong from the start so I bought dies sets that included the Factory Crimp Die and had Lee make one to add to my 9mm Makarov dies. Couldn't get the Factory Crimp Die in the Makarov set.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1826 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 557

I have my dies set to seat with no crimp then use a separate taper crimp die.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."