Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   45 cal issue. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/45-cal-issue-55127/)

almostgem 01-09-2012 06:34 PM

45 cal issue.

Hi everyone.
I reloaded some 45 acp +p small primer cases with 7 grains of power pistol, and 230 grain lasercut lead round nose bullets. I fired 2 with apparently no difficulty, then the slide completely jammed. I was finally able to get it to move, and found that the casing that was in the gun was in fact loaded.
When I fired this round, the slide locked open, as I'd removed the mag. I didn't fire any more of those, but did fire some 200 grain copper plated rounds with the same powder and amount again without issues.
The gun is a Para Ordinance P14 and has only had about 500 rounds put through it.
Anyone have any ideas as to what would cause the slide to jam given the above info.
Thanks!

Firearms4ever 01-09-2012 06:43 PM

It could be that your firearm is just getting broken in or it could be that it doesn't like that ammunition for some reason.

robocop10mm 01-09-2012 09:39 PM

Check the ammo in the pulled barrel to see if it chambers correctly. Since it is handlopaded ammo, that is the first thing to check.

almostgem 01-10-2012 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks robocop, That was my job this morning.
What I found, was that because of the way the bullet was shaped, It wasn't seating properly.
Now I truly understand why you measure from the ogive rather than being totally dependant upon OAL for a bullet weight/shape.
I took a picture with my phone to show what I mean.
Hopefully it's clear enough to show the detail.
I bullet on the left is what properly fits in the barrel.
The center, because of the rim, was keeping the bullet from seating completely.
The bullet on the right was what I initially used to figure the OAL based on my barrel.
Thanks everyone for your responses.
I truly appreciate !

noylj 01-11-2012 04:26 AM

You should use two empty cases to create two inert (no powder or primer) dummy rounds. You use these to set each die. Then you use them to play with seating depth and crimp.
Use your barrel to be sure the bullet's ogive isn't hitting the rifling/lede and the crimp is removed enough to permit complete chambering.
Then you use them to be sure they fit your magazine, feed and chamber. Then, load about 10-20 rounds and verify them at the range.
Finally, the picture, fuzzy as it is, looks more like a roll crimp than a taper crimp.
Your brass is too shiny, it is blinding me...

almostgem 01-11-2012 12:23 PM

Combination of Ultrasonic then Walnut. I likes it shiny !
Thanks, It's actually just crimped using the factory crimp die.
Sorry about the fuzzy picture. I was too lazy to pull out my camera, and opted for my phone instead.
Handy for sure, but quality certainly lacks.

Bigdog57 01-15-2012 04:58 PM

Yep, reminds me of some .45ACP I bought from a reloader buddy years ago, before I began loading. He didn't trim the lead at the case mouth, and it was 'messy'. I had to trim the lead from it before it would chamber. Last I bought from him, and what got me into loading for myself!

joshfireart 01-16-2012 04:52 PM

I've seen this before the bullet is still moving when the crimp was being made and shaves a small amount of lead and then is crimped tight to case mouth. 2000 rounds of this , the fix I came up was j chuck a empty brass in my cordless. Drill and cut the lead off live and learn

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

MidnightExpress 01-16-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshfireart (Post 678845)
I've seen this before the bullet is still moving when the crimp was being made and shaves a small amount of lead and then is crimped tight to case mouth.

The Factory Crimp Die almostgem is using eliminates the movement while seating, the bullet is seated in a separate/previous operation in the seating die. You're right though if he were using a conventional seat & crimp die. That's why I never liked seating/crimping in the same step. It just seemed wrong from the start so I bought dies sets that included the Factory Crimp Die and had Lee make one to add to my 9mm Makarov dies. Couldn't get the Factory Crimp Die in the Makarov set.

JTJ 01-16-2012 10:30 PM

I have my dies set to seat with no crimp then use a separate taper crimp die.