.45 auto different rim thickness?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .45 auto different rim thickness?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 02:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .45 auto different rim thickness?

While sizing a bunch of 45 auto brass today I found a case (R-P) that wouldn't go into the shell holder. I tried another brand of shell holder...still no-go. I inspected the case for the obvious ejector gouge or other damage and found nothing. I did notice the rim seemed thicker than normal. Indeed when I miked it out it was .065". Other R-P cases with the same head stamp from my stash miked out at .043 - .045". Anybody ever seen this before? Could it be a mistake that slipped by Remington quality control or is this case designed for a different application?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2010, 02:50 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I have noticed a few that didn't fit properly before, usually its a gouge or a burr caused by extractor, but I've seen a couple that appeared to have a thick rim.
I have found a few (45's and 223's) that didn't want to fit under the shellholder of my Progressive press, after a quick inspection without finding an obvious burr or easy fix, I chalk it up as a out of spec case and just chuck them in the scrap bucket.

Oh welcome to the forum! Stop by the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 08-01-2010, 05:56 AM   #3

Yeah, some are thicker than others but almost all will fit.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I find brass with thicker rims in several calibers, but I have not yet seen this issue in any .45 ACP. Usually I see this in .223/.556 .308/7.62 or other semi "military" ammo.

What I find is that in a batch of (range pick-up brass) I will end up with a wide assortment of manufacturer's brass. I clean them and then sort them by headstamp for re-loading. When sizing in my single stage press I occasionally find that some of the cases will not readily slide into the shell holder.

Usually this ill-fitting brass is made PMC or some other foreign outfit. As all of the new (to me) brass I get is free (range pick-ups) I shxt can the ones that resist going easily into the shell holder.

TXnorton

Old 08-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Never noticed much difference in the rim thickness. The only problems I've had were burs from the extractor like gate mentioned. I think I would just toss it and move on.

Welcome to the forum!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

It happens not sure how but it does. Just chuck that piece and go on about your business. or if you have a wilson case trimmer just turn it around and trim the rim thickness a little. I have done that before.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #7

All brands of brass can have thickness problems. AMEC brass will not reload because of the thickness of the brass. Hats off to you in finding the problem. I have a junk brass coffee can for those problems.

patret