Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   .45 auto different rim thickness? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/45-auto-different-rim-thickness-29688/)

DaJudge 07-26-2010 02:37 AM

.45 auto different rim thickness?

While sizing a bunch of 45 auto brass today I found a case (R-P) that wouldn't go into the shell holder. I tried another brand of shell holder...still no-go. I inspected the case for the obvious ejector gouge or other damage and found nothing. I did notice the rim seemed thicker than normal. Indeed when I miked it out it was .065". Other R-P cases with the same head stamp from my stash miked out at .043 - .045". Anybody ever seen this before? Could it be a mistake that slipped by Remington quality control or is this case designed for a different application?

Gatekeeper 07-26-2010 02:50 AM

I have noticed a few that didn't fit properly before, usually its a gouge or a burr caused by extractor, but I've seen a couple that appeared to have a thick rim.
I have found a few (45's and 223's) that didn't want to fit under the shellholder of my Progressive press, after a quick inspection without finding an obvious burr or easy fix, I chalk it up as a out of spec case and just chuck them in the scrap bucket.

Oh welcome to the forum! Stop by the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself.:D

J T Patriot 08-01-2010 05:56 AM

Yeah, some are thicker than others but almost all will fit.

TXnorton 08-01-2010 10:31 AM

I find brass with thicker rims in several calibers, but I have not yet seen this issue in any .45 ACP. Usually I see this in .223/.556 .308/7.62 or other semi "military" ammo.

What I find is that in a batch of (range pick-up brass) I will end up with a wide assortment of manufacturer's brass. I clean them and then sort them by headstamp for re-loading. When sizing in my single stage press I occasionally find that some of the cases will not readily slide into the shell holder.

Usually this ill-fitting brass is made PMC or some other foreign outfit. As all of the new (to me) brass I get is free (range pick-ups) I shxt can the ones that resist going easily into the shell holder.

spittinfire 08-01-2010 11:27 AM

Never noticed much difference in the rim thickness. The only problems I've had were burs from the extractor like gate mentioned. I think I would just toss it and move on.

Welcome to the forum!

cpttango30 08-01-2010 03:19 PM

It happens not sure how but it does. Just chuck that piece and go on about your business. or if you have a wilson case trimmer just turn it around and trim the rim thickness a little. I have done that before.

patret 08-07-2010 10:06 PM

All brands of brass can have thickness problems. AMEC brass will not reload because of the thickness of the brass. Hats off to you in finding the problem. I have a junk brass coffee can for those problems.

patret