45 ammo - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 45 ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6325 Times on 3538 Posts
Likes Given: 5903

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/

These folks can tell you all you need to know about springs, and they carry a wide selection.

Therewolf, we're back to the old Jeffie Cooper arguments about energy v momentum.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
therewolf Likes This 
Old 03-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #32

Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
https://www.lonewolfdist.com/

These folks can tell you all you need to know about springs, and they carry a wide selection.

Therewolf, we're back to the old Jeffie Cooper arguments about energy v momentum.
No, you have your preference, which is fine.

I like my stock gun, stock spring, stock ammo, also, for a reason.

What you are doing is perfectly valid, and i understand it. I merely

choose another path. I prefer the 45ACP round, exactly how and

why JMB originally designed it.

I am also a fan of Jeff Cooper, and my .44DE is one of my favorite

guns, if for grip-size, alone.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #33

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Thanks axxe for the info. I'm not sure what the factory spring is on a colt gov model. But mine seems light. My beretta spring seems heavier. That's why I was asking.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #34
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by foot2400 View Post
Thanks axxe for the info. I'm not sure what the factory spring is on a colt gov model. But mine seems light. My beretta spring seems heavier. That's why I was asking.

they usually put a stiffer spring on the Commander and Officer sized 1911's vs. the Government model.

the reason for different recoil weighted springs, is it allows those who reload their own ammo for specific uses. hotter loads need higher weighted springs to counter frame damage, due to higher pressures. very light loads need lighter springs or they wouldn't be able to cycle. shorter the barrel in a 1911, usually needs a heavier spring due to less mass being moved to help keep it from battering the frame.

i use to change out recoil springs alot and it wasn't hard to do, but most of my ammo now is either factory ammo, or ammo i reload to close to factory specs as far as power. i have moved away from fast and hot and prefer accuracy over speed and power. so my 1911's have stock weighted springs in them.