.45 acp vs .45 gap
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .45 acp vs .45 gap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default .45 acp vs .45 gap

what is the major difference in the acp and the gap besides length. What is better in everyones opinion and why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

These links might help to assess items in question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_GAP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_ACP

Old 07-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #3

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Standard .45 ACP is my choice simply because its cheaper and easier to find than GAP. Is there a difference in performance? Perhaps a little (dont honestly know), but not enough to justify ignoring all other factors.

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 07-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #4

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Someone once described the .45 GAP as "the answer to the question no one ever asked"

Yeah, there may be a performance difference. A minor difference. The biggest factor for me would be, I have NEVER seen a .45 GAP round on any shelf anywhere, much less a gun that is chambered for it.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3472 Times on 1678 Posts
Likes Given: 1743

I still prefer the 45ACP. Availability is the big issue and past experience with the round!
Like so many the GAP may come and go as so many before it have!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #6

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Someone once described the .45 GAP as "the answer to the question no one ever asked"
Isnt that the same thing that was said about the .40?

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Sure, sure, the .45 GAP - a round designed around a question that was never asked and a problem that didn't exist. Expensive, hard to find, odd ball by definition, what's not to love?

Stick with the .45 ACP. It's been knocking junk in the dirt for so long even Canebrake can't remember where he was when it first debuted.

JD

Old 07-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Isnt that the same thing that was said about the .40?
Actually someone did specifically ask for the .40 - it was the FBI who found they had problems with small handed folks ,like their upswing in female recruits, trying hold the bigger grip of the .45

They asked for an alterantive that could be double stacked and still provide a small grip purchase area. The .40 S&W was the result of that request.

But I do agree with your assessment.

JD

Old 07-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #9

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger

Actually someone did specifically ask for the .40 - it was the FBI who found they had problems with small handed folks ,like their upswing in female recruits, trying hold the bigger grip of the .45

They asked for an alterantive that could be double stacked and still provide a small grip purchase area. The .40 S&W was the result of that request.

But I do agree with your assessment.

JD
Iirc, it was to to grip size and recoil of the 10mm, not 45acp

Old 07-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCRS View Post
Iirc, it was to to grip size and recoil of the 10mm, not 45acp
Are you sure? I thought it was the .45. Now I have to go pull the book out of the collection and double check.

I reserve the right to change that if I am wrong and you are correct. I don't remember the FBI fielding the 10mm on a wide scale, but now you honestly have me doubting myself.

More to follow....

UPDATE: I was wrong and SSCRS was correct. It was the 10mm cartridge they were trying to replicate in a smaller, more compact version. I hereby stand corrected.....apologies one and all.

Last edited by Dillinger; 07-02-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Newest Threads