Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 45 acp small primer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default 45 acp small primer

I folks i recently decided that my brass stock was low, so i bought 4,000 rounds of once fired federal. When i started working them up i noticed they had a small primer instead of large.
Has anybody had any trouble with there favorite load going from large to small primers. Of course i plan on using small magnum primers witch should be just under the large regular primers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Of course i still have about 8,000 rounds loaded with large primers, when i found this out i went and bought 200 rounds of federal to shoot through all my 1911's just to be sure that would not cause a problem. Like i needed another excuse to go shoot lol.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

No issues at all other than inconvienence of sorting mixed smaal and large primer brass.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #3

Liked 2342 Times on 1048 Posts
Likes Given: 2255

Who ever thought of putting a small primer in the 45 acp should be kicked in the nuts. This is why we have standards so we don't have to sort through crap like this.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #4

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Seeing as Federal manufacturers both brass and primers, it was obviously a cost effective measure. It's a PITA to sort them, and if you miss one you could damage your priming system. I don't think it's necessary to compensate by going to a Magnum primer however. The .45 ACP is a low volume case that relies on fairly fast burning powder. It doesn't require a Magnum primer because of those conditions. Be careful you don't run the pressure over the redline by doing so.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Long as your not slamming primers in with brute force your not going to hurt anything. I load 45acp on a dillon xl650 every now and then a small primer case is in the mix and i can feel the resistance when priming. I just remove the small and put a large in and keep going.

Long as your not slamming your press around its not that bad. I just segragate the smalls out and load them right before i switch to 9mm or 223/556.

Sizing/decapping dies dont care if its large or small.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Not to be rude, but we have discussed this topic several times now. The consensus is there is no (or very little) ballistic difference. The main issue most are having is the occasional small primer that slows the process down. If you have all small primed cases, load 'em up. They work fine. I segregate the cases and load a batch of small primed 45's. I figure they could come in handy if large primers became scarce.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sorry robo i did some searching and did find a thread. Although i did not spend alot of time looking, next time i will search a little more. Thanks all for the info it is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk