Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   45 acp small primer (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/45-acp-small-primer-63233/)

ellwood45c 04-25-2012 10:12 AM

45 acp small primer

I folks i recently decided that my brass stock was low, so i bought 4,000 rounds of once fired federal. When i started working them up i noticed they had a small primer instead of large.
Has anybody had any trouble with there favorite load going from large to small primers. Of course i plan on using small magnum primers witch should be just under the large regular primers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Of course i still have about 8,000 rounds loaded with large primers, when i found this out i went and bought 200 rounds of federal to shoot through all my 1911's just to be sure that would not cause a problem. Like i needed another excuse to go shoot lol.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

JonM 04-25-2012 12:09 PM

No issues at all other than inconvienence of sorting mixed smaal and large primer brass.

rjd3282 04-25-2012 01:51 PM

Who ever thought of putting a small primer in the 45 acp should be kicked in the nuts. This is why we have standards so we don't have to sort through crap like this.

billt 04-25-2012 02:20 PM

Seeing as Federal manufacturers both brass and primers, it was obviously a cost effective measure. It's a PITA to sort them, and if you miss one you could damage your priming system. I don't think it's necessary to compensate by going to a Magnum primer however. The .45 ACP is a low volume case that relies on fairly fast burning powder. It doesn't require a Magnum primer because of those conditions. Be careful you don't run the pressure over the redline by doing so.

JonM 04-25-2012 03:07 PM

Long as your not slamming primers in with brute force your not going to hurt anything. I load 45acp on a dillon xl650 every now and then a small primer case is in the mix and i can feel the resistance when priming. I just remove the small and put a large in and keep going.

Long as your not slamming your press around its not that bad. I just segragate the smalls out and load them right before i switch to 9mm or 223/556.

Sizing/decapping dies dont care if its large or small.

robocop10mm 04-25-2012 03:20 PM

Not to be rude, but we have discussed this topic several times now. The consensus is there is no (or very little) ballistic difference. The main issue most are having is the occasional small primer that slows the process down. If you have all small primed cases, load 'em up. They work fine. I segregate the cases and load a batch of small primed 45's. I figure they could come in handy if large primers became scarce.

ellwood45c 04-25-2012 03:51 PM

Sorry robo i did some searching and did find a thread. Although i did not spend alot of time looking, next time i will search a little more. Thanks all for the info it is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk