Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   .45 acp SD ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/45-acp-sd-ammo-68050/)

lbwar15 07-11-2012 04:19 PM

.45 acp SD ammo

I know this has probably bin covered. But I am just curious as to what everybody carries and what y'all think the best .45 self defiance ammo is. Right now I think I'm going to go with gold dot 200 gr. I won't the absolute best and I'm sure everyone elts dose to.

Overkill0084 07-11-2012 04:36 PM

Just my opinion, but I personally feel that most proper SD ammo is pretty good.
I carry Winchester Ranger 230 gr. in my CCO. Great reputation, decent value.
The problem with "the very best" is that it boils down to someone's opinion. You may think that Brand X super tactical ultra gnarly HPs are the best. On the other hand, I might think that brand Z's Ultra Vicious Nifty Keen HPs are better. One guys Ballistic gel tests may vary from another guy's tests. Now what?
Proven, good quality SD ammo that feeds in your gun will do fine. Much beyond that it becomes a hair-splitting urination distance contest.

JTJ 07-11-2012 04:40 PM

Use what the local police use. If you do have to use it, you will have a better chance in court.

g17frantz 07-12-2012 04:11 AM

230gn Speer Golddots

JonM 07-12-2012 12:28 PM

I use whatever 230grain hollowpoint self defense ammo is on my lgs' shelf when it comes time to shoot the old and buy new. My xdm isnt picky and doesnt care what is put in the magazine.

The reason i dont use lighter than 230grain is that 45acp guns are designed specifically to run 230grains weight bullets. The recoil springs hammer/striker springs are all designed to run that type of ammunition. When you go lighter you increase the risk of shortstroking. When my life depends on that semiauto to cycle everytime im using the weight bullet it was created for.

Just my opinion take it for what its worth.

lbwar15 07-12-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
I use whatever 230grain hollowpoint self defense ammo is on my lgs' shelf when it comes time to shoot the old and buy new. My xdm isnt picky and doesnt care what is put in the magazine.

The reason i dont use lighter than 230grain is that 45acp guns are designed specifically to run 230grains weight bullets. The recoil springs hammer/striker springs are all designed to run that type of ammunition. When you go lighter you increase the risk of shortstroking. When my life depends on that semiauto to cycle everytime im using the weight bullet it was created for.

Just my opinion take it for what its worth.

Well john you seem to know your stuff. So I thank I will take that advice on that. Better to be safe than sorry anyway.

sniper762 07-12-2012 01:26 PM

black talon

lbwar15 07-13-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper762
black talon

Last time I saw black talon it was $50 a box of 20 and i thank that was 9mm or might have bin .40.
Anytime I change SD ammo I like to run a box or 2 to make sure it runs right.

So thats 2 boxes to check the function. 3 13round mags and +1.
So that's $200. To hell with that not when they make ranger sxt. Some people say sxt means same exact thing. I guess I did say Idc how much it was. And I'm sure I could find it cheaper.

primer1 07-13-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g17frantz
230gn Speer Golddots

+1. In all reality, its a .45, so it doesn't really matter :)

Sport45 07-13-2012 07:52 AM

I have Remington 230gr Golden Saber for mine. Tested several hundred rounds for function 10-15 years ago and I'm not going to re-test just because some new whiz-bang round is marketed.

I'll have to admit I keep a white-box JHP in the chamber. That's so I don't waste the premium stuff rechambering whenever I load and unload the thing. I don't have any worries that the cheaper round that comes out first is going to leave anyone laughing at me...