Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .45 ACP recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default .45 ACP recommendation

Hello everyone,
I'm mostly shooting Federal Champion 45ACP out of my Colt but I'd like to get slightly higher quality ammunition with normal sized primers. The Federal Champions use 9mm primers in their 45ACP which leads me to believe that the "ignition" and therefore the pressure are not optimal, they shoot kinda dirty and have a big muzzle flash. I think that due to the small primer, part of the powder is still burning when exiting the barrel.

Anyway, right now I have to choose between Remington UMC, Federal American Eagle, Lawman, Independence, Fiocchi, PMC Bronze. I'm a bit biased towards American Eagle, Remington UMC and Fiocchi, however I prefer buying American when possible.

Let me know what you guys recommend !

PS: Here's a picture of the Federal Champion in my dad's Glock 21, the muzzle flash looks to me like unoptimal powder ignition:

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 04-02-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

.45 ACP Range Ammunition

Blazer: CCI/Speer 45 Auto 230 grain FMJ 845/365 #3570
Magtech: 45 ACP +P 230 grain 1007/518 JHP #GG45B
Magtech: 45 ACP +P 185 grain 1148/540 JHP #GG45A
Winchester .45 ACP 230 grain FMJ 910/356 #USA45AVP

Old 04-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2130 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Second Amendment!
You do not know what dirty is until you shoot Fiocchi. PMC is made in Korea so I prefer not to buy it. I have been to their plant here in the USA and while I was there it was shut down and the loading machines sold. There were only about 6 people there who took the ammunition coming from Korea and packing it in PMC boxes. I would rather buy American if possible. With Fiocchi, I think they use coal dust for powder. I like you prefer the Federal American Eagle to target shoot with. It is a high quality ammunition for the purpose.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #4

Thanks a lot guys for your input! Aha someone recommended me the Fiocchi but I take your word that it's not that good. Sounds like American Eagle is my first choice, what about Remington UMC? (not the bundle pack).

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 04-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #5

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You can reload, and tailor your loads to your wishes, you know.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post
You can reload, and tailor your loads to your wishes, you know.
I'm very well aware of that and I don't the time to do it. On top of that some ranges prohibit reloaded ammo. Until I have the time, place and tools to venture with reloading my own ammo, I want to know what's reliable and not burn a hole in my pocket.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #7

Default The best I have found

Stan chen makes ASMY ammo primo. I was impressed enough to purchase some and I load and shoot about 10K per year in my 45's.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2546 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 192

There is no problem with the small primers in the .45 ACP. The powder used in the basic ammo is rather sooty regardless of the primer size. Only the high end carry ammo has high quality flame retardant powder. Everything else will be dirtier.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #9

Isn't there a pressure difference caused by using smaller primers?