Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .45 ACP questions? HEELLLLPPPP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

His coal spec is for a FMJ and one of yours was too. You can't really follow that for a JHP. My Hornady manual lists 1.245" for FMJ and 1.230" for JHP both 230g bullets but not the same length.

If u know how to spot signs of over pressure and you work up to a load there is little to no risk of blowing up your gun. Just start at the starting grains for the load and work up by .2 or so and check. IIRC you are using unique, Hornady lists 5.1g for starting.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #32
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5102 Times on 2652 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post

OK, imma back off the crimp, then try reseating the bullet to spec. and try again. If it head spaces on the rim of the case. My issue may be too much crimp. Will try again and report back...prolly in the morning....i aint running back down there again tonight.
im sorry mouth of the case i think i mis-typed. but i think your breakdown is the trim to length and overcrimp. as stated above use the data for your given bullet. i just used 230fmj as an example.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #33

I also had the same situation. J use RCBS single stage with carbide dies. The answers were very similar to what has been said here and all considerations should be looked at. The solution for me was the taper crimp. Reread the steps to set bullet seating and crimp. Once I did this I hav not had any failure to feed or fire. Good Luck.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:16 AM   #34
fmj

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
im sorry mouth of the case i think i mis-typed. but i think your breakdown is the trim to length and overcrimp. as stated above use the data for your given bullet. i just used 230fmj as an example.
No No, i mis-typed it...i meant case mouth and not rim.

Basically, I think I shall go back to step 1. Re-read, re-set and go from there with dummys until i feel confident. Then pull and prime.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-02-2011, 01:24 AM   #35
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5102 Times on 2652 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post

Basically, I think I shall go back to step 1. Re-read, re-set and go from there with dummys until i feel confident. Then pull and prime.
sounds like a good plan!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #36

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

handloads.com could also be a place to check out they have a good database with some manufacturers listed loads also.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

Old 11-04-2011, 03:36 AM   #37

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default .45 chokeing

a lot of .45's need to be ramped to feed hollow point's or wad cutter's ,my 1911 dont like them or my para ord p14 barely swallow's them .
mt sig p250 eat's them real good .the best thing i did was to get a lee #4 die with factory crimp to size the loaded round after installing the bullet .
i found this problem with my 1911 i used a spair barrel to see if they chambered all the way ,best money i spent .
Lee Precision: Carbide Factory Crimp Die

Old 11-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #38
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitek View Post
a lot of .45's need to be ramped to feed hollow point's or wad cutter's ,my 1911 dont like them or my para ord p14 barely swallow's them .
mt sig p250 eat's them real good .the best thing i did was to get a lee #4 die with factory crimp to size the loaded round after installing the bullet .
i found this problem with my 1911 i used a spair barrel to see if they chambered all the way ,best money i spent .
Lee Precision: Carbide Factory Crimp Die
Yeah, i have the Lee 4 die set. Its not a ramp issue. Its a load issue, either too much crimp or not seating bullet deep enough. I have some more work to do out in the garage, after i get it done, i'm going to head down in the basement and work on this issue some more.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #39
fmj

Default Getting a freaking HEADACHE!!

ok, started over and played on and off with this for a while now.

With these bullets i am using, dropping a dummy cartridge into my barrel (disassembled the 1911) i have to seat the bullet (using very little crimp) to 1.155 or 1.16 to get the rim of the cartridge to drop flush or just below the cowl of my barrel.

Lee Specs give the Minimum OAL at 1.19"!

NOW WHAT!?!?!?

Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #40

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default oal

certin bullets you may have to play with thr oal for gun and load combo's that the perticular writer of the load spec's you used did not use when they developed their load .
i would probably back the powder off to the start load and test function before loading a bunch .what bullet are you using ,brand style ?i know wad cutter's and semi wad cutter's gave me a lot of greef .had to load them deeper so the edge of the bullet was right at the case mouth ,otherwise they would hit the throat in the barrel . then the little bugger's wont feed right because of the ramp.