.45 ACP questions? HEELLLLPPPP! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .45 ACP questions? HEELLLLPPPP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

[QUOTE="fmj"]OK, experimenting with "dummy" cartridges. I lightened up on the crimp a good bit. So, using these dummy loads seated to 1.235 i allowed the slide on my 1911 to just slam shut. I then measured the OAL and it was 1.208 and the next cartridge it was 1.205.

Should i just set my seat to 1.2" and tighten the crimp a touch and call it a load?

/QUOTE]

Where there marks on the bullets u let the slide slam on?

If there where I would seat them a couple thousanths shorter to make sure all of them in your batch chamber reliably. After that u can play with the crimp. REMEMBER to back off the powder charge and work your way back up to compensate for the reduced case volume.

That OAL should be a good starting place. And also keep in mind that a whole book could be written on 1911 feeding problems alone so you could try different projectiles next time if these never work out for you.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #22

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

I havent been using any crimp on my .45 APC loads...Is that wrong?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #23

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner
No not at all most manuals will tell you not to crimp so that is fine.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
As it is, the crimp where i have it set (not on the dummy loads) is just barely indenting the bullet.
if you can see the crimp like that, thats way too much

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
no just enough to remove the bell from the expanding proccess is all you need. the case applies all the grip thats needed.

crimp isnt a good term for cartridges that space off the case mouth. think of it more as a taper to spec.

a real crimp is used on cannelured bullets. typically you find cannelures on cartridges that have heavy recoil like revolvers and larger loads that space off a rim, belt, or shoulder and have a ring of indentations for the crimp to grip without distorting the bullet.

above a cannelured bullet requiring a real crimp. even then the crimp should not exceed .020 from spec for a given case. bullets without a cannelure should not be crimped but should be tapered back to spec. using a taper "crimp" die.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 11-01-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #26
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
if you can see the crimp like that, thats way too much

OK, will back off the crimp some more.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #27
fmj

[quote=linuxuser3890;617051]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj
OK, experimenting with "dummy" cartridges. I lightened up on the crimp a good bit. So, using these dummy loads seated to 1.235 i allowed the slide on my 1911 to just slam shut. I then measured the OAL and it was 1.208 and the next cartridge it was 1.205.

Should i just set my seat to 1.2" and tighten the crimp a touch and call it a load?

/QUOTE]

Where there marks on the bullets u let the slide slam on?

If there where I would seat them a couple thousanths shorter to make sure all of them in your batch chamber reliably. After that u can play with the crimp. REMEMBER to back off the powder charge and work your way back up to compensate for the reduced case volume.

That OAL should be a good starting place. And also keep in mind that a whole book could be written on 1911 feeding problems alone so you could try different projectiles next time if these never work out for you.

Yes, at 1.235 there were marks on the nose of the bullet. I am thinking i will just seat to 1.2 and call it good.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

[quote=fmj;617103]

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxuser3890 View Post

Yes, at 1.235 there were marks on the nose of the bullet. I am thinking i will just seat to 1.2 and call it good.
your overcrimp is what is causing the bullet to move in the case. i trim my 45acp to .888 and never really need to trim again.

1.275 is max coal for 45acp. that means you cant go past that or you will be hitting the rifling most liekly. each bullet will have a recomended minimum oal for a given bullet. dont go under that. max coal and the coal for a given round gives you the range you can seat any given bullet and stay safe pressure wise.

my speer manual lists 1.260 coal for 230grn fmj. so anything between 1.275 and 1.260 is safe. under that and you spike pressures from the given load data. over that and you spike pressures from being too close to the rifling. so for 230grn fmj i seat to 1.265 to allow for slight variations in individual bullets.

Last edited by JonM; 11-01-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #29
fmj

[quote=JonM;617120]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post

your overcrimp is what is causing the bullet to move in the case. i trim my 45acp to .888 and never really need to trim again.

1.275 is max coal for 45acp. that means you cant go past that or you will be hitting the rifling most liekly. each bullet will have a recomended minimum oal for a given bullet. dont go under that. max coal and the coal for a given round gives you the range you can seat any given bullet and stay safe pressure wise.

my speer manual lists 1.260 coal for 230grn fmj. so anything between 1.275 and 1.260 is safe. under that and you spike pressures from the given load data. over that and you spike pressures from being too close to the rifling. so for 230grn fmj i seat to 1.265 to allow for slight variations in individual bullets.
But when i seat to 1.260 (per Lyman spec.) the gun wont go into battery and the rounds lodge in the mag. Seating to 1.20 the action closes.

The gun has to go into battery to fire.....but i dont want to blow up my beloved 1911 getting reloads that it will eat being at 1.20 COAL.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #30
fmj

[quote=fmj;617134]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

But when i seat to 1.260 (per Lyman spec.) the gun wont go into battery and the rounds lodge in the mag. Seating to 1.20 the action closes.

The gun has to go into battery to fire.....but i dont want to blow up my beloved 1911 getting reloads that it will eat being at 1.20 COAL.
OK, imma back off the crimp, then try reseating the bullet to spec. and try again. If it head spaces on the rim of the case. My issue may be too much crimp. Will try again and report back...prolly in the morning....i aint running back down there again tonight.