.45 ACP questions? HEELLLLPPPP! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .45 ACP questions? HEELLLLPPPP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

The gun is a SA 1911. The projectile is a bulk 230 gr JHP.

The reason they dont want to "feed up" from the mag. is they are getting stuck in the mag. When they do come up from the mag. the chamber, but the gun just doesnt lock into battery.

Type of crimp die is just the Lee die. How much i am not sure...its a good crimp. I am flaring the case mouth just enough to get the bullet to start.

Today after i get everything done i need to i will go down and double check case lengths. I will also tear down the gun and drop a couple in the chamber.

Stay tuned.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #12

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Try using the barrel and pushing one of the loads that the bullet is really clean looking into the chamber all the way and twist it. Pull it back out and look at the bullet along where the ogive starts and see if there are any scratches on it.

If there are take and seat a bullet into an unprimed case a little deeper. You may have to play with this a little while to get the bullet to be set off the lands but it will happen. Just make sure that while u do this not to use any crimp. Do this by un-screwing the die til it leaves no crimp then adjust the seating plug.

If it doesn't leave a mark or they are faint check the case length.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

Old 11-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
The gun is a SA 1911. The projectile is a bulk 230 gr JHP.

The reason they dont want to "feed up" from the mag. is they are getting stuck in the mag. When they do come up from the mag. the chamber, but the gun just doesnt lock into battery.

Type of crimp die is just the Lee die. How much i am not sure...its a good crimp. I am flaring the case mouth just enough to get the bullet to start.

Today after i get everything done i need to i will go down and double check case lengths. I will also tear down the gun and drop a couple in the chamber.

Stay tuned.
Dont get discouraged. Its a learning thing. I been loading ammo since 1988 and i still learn things every session

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Dont get discouraged. Its a learning thing. I been loading ammo since 1988 and i still learn things every session
OHHH I wont get discouraged. I knew there would be hang ups along the way as i muddled my way thru.

This is why i started with .357. I figured a revolver round would be about idiot proof. Cranked out and shot up 500 or more rounds. (went thru 3 different types of bullets and 2 different types/brand of powder) Figured out a recipe my 686 likes and I shoot well, and got comfortable with.

Then i started working on 44 mag for the carbine...well that one was kind of a must do, considering the cost. Not only myself, but my youngest and my wife LOVE shooting that gun.

They have now found the love of the 1911.......so in the interest of staying out of bankruptcy i figured i better figure out the .45 acp round.

I had intended by this point in the game to be cranking out .35 Rem and 30-06...but i am working my way up to that.

But this is why i joined here. Where i am quite confident in my marksmanship, my teaching skills, my knowledge of laws and my overall well rounded knowledge of an assortment of firearms....i am a novice to loading.

I just ask all y'all bear with me and my seemingly silly questions.

Last edited by fmj; 11-01-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
fmj

Alrighty then, Tore down the 1911 and gave it a much needed douching. Dropped my problematic reloads into the barrel and they arent dropping all the way in. So i am guessing they are seated too long and just need to be seated deeper I dont want to experiment with deep seating depth....even tho the Lee specs say i have room to go deeper.

Took a sampling of the brass i have polished and ready for loading and they are running from 0.885 to 0.890. The Lyman calls for a trim to length of 0.888.

Tonight i will try to get down and throw out some unprimed, non powdered rounds and work on seating depth/crimp and try running them thru

Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #16

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

OHHH I wont get discouraged. I knew there would be hang ups along the way as i muddled my way thru.

This is why i started with .357. I figured a revolver round would be about idiot proof. Cranked out and shot up 500 or more rounds. (went thru 3 different types of bullets and 2 different types/brand of powder) Figured out a recipe my 686 likes and I shoot well, and got comfortable with.

Then i started working on 44 mag for the carbine...well that one was kind of a must do, considering the cost. Not only myself, but my youngest and my wife LOVE shooting that gun.

They have now found the love of the 1911.......so in the interest of staying out of bankruptcy i figured i better figure out the .45 acp round.

I had intended by this point in the game to be cranking out .35 Rem and 30-06...but i am working my way up to that.

But this is why i joined here. Where i am quite confident in my marksmanship, my teaching skills, my knowledge of laws and my overall well rounded knowledge of an assortment of firearms....i am a novice to loading.

I just ask all y'all bear with me and my seemingly silly questions.
It's not a silly question that u asked. I had a similar problem when I started doing 9mm. I had all sorts of feeding issues and went through a lot of those dummy rounds that I and some others have mentioned. I just decided to invest in a bullet puller.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #17
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxuser3890 View Post
It's not a silly question that u asked. I had a similar problem when I started doing 9mm. I had all sorts of feeding issues and went through a lot of those dummy rounds that I and some others have mentioned. I just decided to invest in a bullet puller.

LMAO!!! The bullet puller was on the original list of equipment i bought. Tumbler, polish, media, powder measure, scale, bullet puller.

Picked the turret press up, set up with .357 carbide dies for $20...a friend found it in an abandoned trailer he was tearing down and asked what it was worth to me, so i said $20.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #18
fmj

OK, experimenting with "dummy" cartridges. I lightened up on the crimp a good bit. So, using these dummy loads seated to 1.235 i allowed the slide on my 1911 to just slam shut. I then measured the OAL and it was 1.208 and the next cartridge it was 1.205.

Should i just set my seat to 1.2" and tighten the crimp a touch and call it a load?

Again, my lyman calls for 1.275" OAL for 230 tmj and a 1.243" on 225 JHP.

Lee specs are 1.190" for 230 gr jacketed and Alliant calls for a 1.2" on a 230 gr JHP.

I am using bulk 230 gr JHP. in SA 1911.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

the 45acp spaces off the case mouth. well all rimless cartridges do. get one of the dillon case gages for the 45acp they arent pricey and will let you sort and trim to length. but dont over crimp it will cause other issues. the max empty case length listed is just that the max you can be a little under but go over and the action wont close

i measure the sized mouth, but not yet expanded, of the cartridge im going to set the crimp by then expand it out load it seat bullet then crimp to equal or .010 less than the original size. going over .010 crimp on a bullet without cannelure is bad mojo.

over crimping doesnt hold the bullet tighter it actually loosens the bullet in the case and cause it to come out on chambering and lodge in the lands. found that out when i ejected a unfired round and powder poured everywhere...

the case actually holds the bullet with all the needed force, the crimp just removes the belling operation on rimless cannalureless bullets. recently corbon recalled a lot of over crimped ammo that was causing severe looseness. i had a box of it in 380acp.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 11-01-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #20
fmj

I do have the case gage. will dig it out and check all my cases and trim to length if needs be. But used the mic. to check case length. They were .888 or within spec. according to my Lyman.

Will check on crimp depth or however terminology you would use.

As it is, the crimp where i have it set (not on the dummy loads) is just barely indenting the bullet.