Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   45 ACP crimp question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/45-acp-crimp-question-92310/)

texaswoodworker 06-14-2013 09:55 PM

45 ACP crimp question

I just got a set of LEE 45 ACP carbide dies, and had a question about crimping.

The instructions say that the seating die doubles as a crimp die, but the instructions aren't that great. It basically says to seat your bullets to their final depth, then screw the die slightly deeper into the press and push the shell back into it.

Am I reading that right? Wouldn't doing that cause the bullet to be pressed deeper into the case? Shouldn't I back the actual bullet seater out some so that the bullet doesn't get pressed deeper into the case?

Thanks.

Rick1967 06-14-2013 10:43 PM

Yes. You should back the seater out the same amount that you screw the crimper in.

Overkill0084 06-14-2013 10:47 PM

With .45 ACP I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It makes crimping a separate step, which in my opinion is easier to get right.

Easiest way with your setup:

1. Set the amount of crimp first. You don't need much, don't overdo it. Lock it in.
2. Set the depth of the bullet.

Note: The .45 ACP needs little in the way of actual crimping. Really just a kiss, to knock down the bell you put in it earlier.
A few different bullets from now, you will very likely want the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

nitestalker 06-14-2013 11:04 PM

The .45 ACP requires a taper crimp. The LEE taper crimp and seating die is marginal. The LEE Factory crimp die is a very worth while addition to your die set. :)

JonM 06-14-2013 11:42 PM

I crimp in a seperate step. I dont like the crimp and seat in one stage technique as it is verrrrrry easy to get a slightly longer bullet and still have the bullet moving a scootch making it very loose in the case as it is in the final crimp stage.

I measure the outside diameter case mouth of a sized case before belling the mouth and set my crimp to return it to the pre belled size and no more. Any more and you risk making the bullet loose in the case.

This of course only applies to taper crimps

Axxe55 06-15-2013 12:01 AM

i have the Lee dies as well and use the seperate crimp die. i feel it's easier to do the crimping as a seperate step.

texaswoodworker 06-15-2013 01:55 AM

I'll probably invest in a crimping die to go with my set pretty soon, but for now, I'll have to use the seating die.

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. :)

Rick1967 06-15-2013 02:32 AM

It also has a lot to do with how much you bell the case mouth. I open mine up just enough to get the bullet started. My sizing die sizes really tight. I use a Lee progressive to load 45 acp. I only have the three die head. I have no problem seating and crimping with the same step. I was just very careful when I set up it. I have loaded many thousands of rounds on that set up. No problems of any kind...with ammo anyway. Lee progressives are very finiky though.

Axxe55 06-15-2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 1276708)
I'll probably invest in a crimping die to go with my set pretty soon, but for now, I'll have to use the seating die.

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. :)

the Lee factory crimp die isn't very expensive and worth the money IMO. i think i got mine from MidSouth Shooters Supply and gave about $11 for it.

MSS is an excellent source for reloading components as well. their prices are reasonable and so far shipping costs are decent and they seem to ship pretty fast as well.

texaswoodworker 06-15-2013 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1276750)
the Lee factory crimp die isn't very expensive and worth the money IMO. i think i got mine from MidSouth Shooters Supply and gave about $11 for it.

MSS is an excellent source for reloading components as well. their prices are reasonable and so far shipping costs are decent and they seem to ship pretty fast as well.

Midway had them for $18, and they were out of stock. I'm definitely checking out MSS now. Thanks. :D