Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   .45 ACP brass (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/45-acp-brass-101587/)

llewoh13 12-15-2013 02:40 AM

.45 ACP brass

Knowing months ago that I would start reloading my own 45 ACP's, I started stocking up on ammo when it was on sale with the intention of recovering the brass. Until I started educating my self about reloading I didn't pay much attention to types of cases other than to stay away from aluminum and steel. But now I realize that many of the .45's I've acquired use small pistol primers.
Is this going to be a problem? Is the quality of the reload just as good with SPP's? I'll mainly just be reloading for recreational range shooting.

Thanks for your replies.

c3shooter 12-15-2013 02:50 AM

Good question- and no, not a problem- IF you sort your brass.

My .357 loads have a LOT more powder than a 45 ACP, and an SSP lights that quite well.

hmh 12-15-2013 02:52 AM

I reload a mix batch of small and big the only issue is keeping them separate while reading.

oldman10mm 12-15-2013 02:54 AM

Should not be a problem. You might end up having two different powder loads to attain the same results because of a potentially lower 'brisance' of the small pistol primer vs the 'brisance' of the large pistol primer.

gr8oldguy 12-15-2013 04:24 AM

I have mixed brass in 45 acp. I sort the brass the best I can, but some still get mixed up. I took a used small pistol primer and I super glued it next to my press. Before I start loading a case I fit the empty case over the spent primer. If the case slips all the way to the table top, then I know the case takes a large pistol primer. If I'm loading large primers at the time, I'm good to go, if not, I know I've missed sorted my brass, I pull another case. It works for me. Good luck

therewolf 12-15-2013 04:32 AM

I wind up collecting far more brass than I reload.

This is simply because I reload the batches by the sorted box.

Name, type, and primer size all match. IME, cartridge uniformity

is of primary importance to successful reloading. And it pays

off when everything is uniform in a batch, at least for me.

95sniper 12-15-2013 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 1459115)
I wind up collecting far more brass than I reload.

This is simply because I reload the batches by the sorted box.

Name, type, and primer size all match. IME, cartridge uniformity

is of primary importance to successful reloading. And it pays

off when everything is uniform in a batch, at least for me.

This is true, it depends on the purpose of your shooting. Some people don't care how "accurate" their pistol ammo is. Then again a competition shooter would worry about that.

I worry about uniformity in my rifle reloads because I want more precision there

robocop10mm 12-15-2013 03:09 PM

I have seen absolutely no difference in the load performance between the large and small primed .45 cases. Clean, polish, inspect for defects/primer size, sort. Load which ever size primer is most available at that time

Hawg 12-15-2013 03:33 PM

I don't mess with small primered cases because I don't have anything else that uses them.

robocop10mm 12-16-2013 05:14 AM

You can send them to me. I buy small primers by the case