Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .45 ACP Ammo - Which to use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .45 ACP Ammo - Which to use?

I just purchased a Ruger P345 and want to do target shooting. What are a few of the better brands to use? I don't want something that is going to jam. Can you provide me some websites that have good prices on them? Do you recommend FMJ for use in this gun?

Also what would be the best for self defense ammo? If someone breaks into the house, what is going to do the most damage?

I'm new to the forum and I thank you in advance for your opinions

Last edited by micron929rr; 01-25-2009 at 02:06 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #2

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

First, WELCOME to the forum and great first question.
Understand all guns run ammo differently and yours will be optimized by experimenting with several brands and types. (Your mileage may vary.)
With that said, I’ll tell you what works for my Colts.
For target I use WallyWorld WWB (Wal-Mart, Winchester White Box) or Georgia Arms (from local gun show) both in 230gr Ball.
For carry/PD I use a combination of JHPs. I like Corbon Pow`R Ball +P, 165 GR, 1225 fps and use them as my double-tap in my carry mag. Fast and proven to penetrate windshields and will pass through auto side glass with little expansion. The remainder of the mag feeds Hornady TAP Personal Defense +P 230 GR Jacketed Hollow Points. I’m comfortable with this set-up.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #3

Thank you! Are the Wolf polymer coated any good? They seems to be the cheapest I've found on the internet, but I don't want anything excessively dirty. Would probably rather stick with American Eagle or something....but any thoughts on the Russian made Wolf?

Last edited by micron929rr; 01-25-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I usually run what ever is cheapest (brass cases, not poly or lacquer coated) for range ammo. I run 230 gr. Hydrashock and 230 gr. ball as defense ammo. My mags stay loaded alternating between one Hydrashock and one ball.

It's good to follow up the hollow points with ball. Ball will penetrate sheet metal, glass and drywall without too much deformation, so they'll carry more energy to the bad guy after hitting something else. The ball will also "push" more energy through body armor.

The site is down right now, but these guys currently have US made, Federal 230 gr. ball for about $300/1000 rds. http://www.surplusammo.com/

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

welcome you are starting to go the wrong way! you absolutly dont want to go with the cheapest ammo for defense. you only need one or two boxes of defensive ammo BUY THE BEST how much is your family's life worth?
after you have bought the defensive ammo of your choice shoot 2 clips of it to make sure it functions then load up for protectoin. when you get to the range unload defensive ammo and shoot the cheapest ammo that functions well in your gun. whichever way you decide to go, heavy and slow, or ,light and fast, you should consider loading every other round a doubletap brand 230grn flatnose fmj. these are the fastest 230 grn out there and their nose design garrentees straight penatration. why staggered ammo? you do not know what you might encounter in a fight.maybe a human maybe a bear. what if your human target was hiding behind something? staggered ammo offers you protection both way.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

You are going to want a good cheap ammo for plinking then go with wwb (Winchester white box) or Black Hills ammo. Alwayshad good luck with both of those.

For HD PD ammo I would go with a god high quality ammo made just for that purpose. I prefer Speer Gold dot 230gr for my PD HD ammo.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron929rr View Post
Also what would be the best for self defense ammo? If someone breaks into the house, what is going to do the most damage?
By damage do you mean, to the BG (Bad Guy) or the house.

If your all about the damage to the BG, any 185gr and up +P JHP will do just fine.

If you concern is property damage, just don't miss!

The HP's will expand and should not be a through and through if the hit is center mass. A miss can pass through several walls and wind up outside bringing you considerable liability.

If you want, you can opt for a frangible load for the night stand gun.

Frangible Bullets

Expanded hollow points are just like snow flakes, no two are alike.

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 01-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Thank you! Are the Wolf polymer coated any good? They seems to be the cheapest I've found on the internet, but I don't want anything excessively dirty. Would probably rather stick with American Eagle or something....but any thoughts on the Russian made Wolf?
I love Wolf 7.62x39 and use it along with Golden Tiger in my AK. IN MY AK. Eastern Block ammo in an Eastern Block gun.

The Rooski polymer coated steel case Wolf gets flamed on nearly every post but like you said, it's the cheapest!
I run Wolf in my 'fun guns' if it works.
On guns with closer tolerances the uneven poly-coat will cause jams.
In my Ruger wheel gun they won’t even load and brass case ammo has no problem.
I will not use Wolf or anything else but brass case, new ammo in my carry Colt. I don’t go looking for trouble!

- orangello

Old 01-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #9

Was just in Walmart and they only had 4 WWB boxes left...so I bought them all I want to get a few more boxes and it looks like hollow points for protecting the home. Thank you for all your help!!

Old 01-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Was just in Walmart and they only had 4 WWB boxes left...so I bought them all I want to get a few more boxes and it looks like hollow points for protecting the home. Thank you for all your help!!
Curious, what did you pay for WWB 100 rds? And what State or City?

- orangello