.45 acp ammo testing
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .45 acp ammo testing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .45 acp ammo testing

I always test my hollow point ammo by shooting into a soft dirt mound. I just got a 1911, my first .45 acp. When I tested what I thought was the best ammo
gold dot 185 grain, and winchester ranger T 230 grain auto+p. the gold dot went in 9" opened about a tenth of what it should have. The ranger didn't open at all. Ive tested 9mm, .40 and 44 mag ammo this way mostly with gold dot and hornaday ammo and they have always mushroomed good for me. can anybody explain this for me? P.S. I know federal HST is supposedly one of the best but I cant find any anywhere.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2010, 03:00 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

First, welcome to the forum. Usually the new members stop in the Introduction section and let the members get to know them a bit.

Second, most hollow points are meant to work in a hydrostatic environment. Meaning, when they hit flesh (lots of water in the body) they open better than when shooting into dirt. A great way to test hollow points is to shoot them into wet phone books or newspaper. The last ones I tested were Winchester Bonded PDX1 230gr. I shot them into wet newspaper backed by wet catalogs. Excellent mushrooming. Others here have done the same with various makes and weights with good results.

If they don't mushroom after shooting into wet newspaper or similar media, I would not use them for defense ammo.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What skull said.....

If you find HSTs, please let me know I'm down to my last box.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-14-2010, 01:23 AM   #4

Thank you skullcrusher, I plan on shooting some wet phone books and milk jugs this weekend. I appreciate the advice and I hope that will give me some good results. Regarding the HST's if I find any I will post there location after I buy plenty for me.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:06 AM   #5

Default retesting

I couldn't get my hands on any phone books or news print, so shot one ranger t
into a 55 gal drum with a pair of old jeans on top. then one into some milkjugs full of water. to my shock again no expansion what so ever. I think I got a bad batch or something. I will try to find some news print and soak then test with that this weekend.