44 Magnums - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 44 Magnums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I use Titegroup for my target/plinking loads,and H110 for my full power stuff.
Like others have said,stick with 240gr or less for lighter recoil.

I use 300/325gr hard cast for my hunting stuff,and they'll let you know it's a magnum your shooting.
I like me some Beefalo Bore and wouldnt mind making some hardcast hunting loads eventually. But I might have to save that for if I ever get a Ruger Redhawk or Marlin in 44 magnum.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Make your life easier and shoot 44 special out if mag loads when
Hunting

Old 08-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have "roughly" three loads that I use for target shooting.

One is a 200gr cast RNFP over about 13-13.2gr of Unique**, to duplicate my carry loads of 200gr@~1500fps. I set the OAL a bit long at about 1.605 to 1.609, for a little wiggle room with the pressure.

The second most common is the same bullet, loaded backwards and seated almost fully into the case, with ~3.8gr of Unique. I seat the bullet like this both to take up as much case volume as possible (was getting inconsistent velocities otherwise), and because the "wadcutter" profile makes nice holes in the paper. Also, the wadcutted profile would make them a bit more terminally effective should they ever need to be used for defensive purposes. They should clock around 700fps out of my 8" barrel, and are obviously quite light. At the right angle, you can see them heading out! The main thing I don't like about these is they shoot like 8-12" low at 25 yards, heh. But, new shooters really like them, and I still shoot them just to kindof verify my technique and stuff at closer ranges (2-10 yards), while reducing powder use, leading, and general wear on the gun.

Finally, I've more recently begun loading about 7.7gr of Unique under the same 200gr bullet, seated forward but down to about 1.55" OAL. I seat them a little deeper than normal just to get a bit more out of the powder, as the goal is to get a little flatter trajectory for <25yd plinking, but without getting too hot.

As you can see, I really like Unique powder. Other than being dirty, it really does everything I need to do. I eventually want to try loading up some H110 and pushing a 200gr bullet out at like 1800+fps, but currently I get bad-enough leading shooting these bullets at 1500fps (I think largely due to too-tight throats), and I don't want to do it bad enough to drop the money for jacketed bullets.

*edit*

Note, the listed max for my first load is technically 13gr of Unique. I'd loaded and shoot a good 1000 rounds of these, thinking I'd been loading about 12.8gr of powder. Only recently did I get a nicer scale and discover I was actually loading about 13.2gr of Unique. I had already been loading them long and been using a light crimp anyways.

Oh, speaking of crimp. My crimp is very light (you can't see it by looking at it). However, the gun with these loads is still more accurate than I am, and I can still hit the 8" gong at 150 yards about 4 out of 6 shots .

Last edited by Lindenwood; 08-19-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Stupid question here...pretty new to the reloading game so i ask many questions and double/triple check loads...ANYWHO, i just received my Lee carbide .44 dies in the mail (I'm an ebay junkie) they are labeled ".44 Special Dies"...is it ok to load .44 mag with these? I personally say yes...but again i feel the need to double/triple check everything.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 08-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5625 Times on 2940 Posts
Likes Given: 371

44mag the case is a little thicker with external dimension the same except for length. My rcbs dies are marke 44spcl/mag.

Run one case through the sizer and measure. examine the mouth and look to see if it is crushed around the rim. If not your good to go.

My bet is lee use the same dies for both

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-31-2011, 04:41 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Stupid question here...pretty new to the reloading game so i ask many questions and double/triple check loads...ANYWHO, i just received my Lee carbide .44 dies in the mail (I'm an ebay junkie) they are labeled ".44 Special Dies"...is it ok to load .44 mag with these? I personally say yes...but again i feel the need to double/triple check everything.
i have the same dies, in the instructions, it says to back off the seating die about 1 and 3/4 turns for the 44 magnum case.

my favorite load for my taurus 44 tracker: 44sp w/ 180gr hornady xtp w/ 8.5gr of power pistol powder and 44mag w/ 210gr sierra hp w/ 15gr of power pistol powder. both loads using magnum primers.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:47 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks like I'm gonna be loading heavier jacketed bullets more than I originally thought. I just bought a Mark VII Desert Eagle in 44 magnum. So far all I've heard is to load the hotter stuff to cycle the action properly. Handloading for an auto-loader in 44 magnum...going to be interesting..

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:53 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5625 Times on 2940 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
Looks like I'm gonna be loading heavier jacketed bullets more than I originally thought. I just bought a Mark VII Desert Eagle in 44 magnum. So far all I've heard is to load the hotter stuff to cycle the action properly. Handloading for an auto-loader in 44 magnum...going to be interesting..
Bullets larger than 240grn dont work well in the de cuz they dont fit in the magazine. You have to seat them too deep causing unsafe pressure for the cases

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Bullets larger than 240grn dont work well in the de cuz they dont fit in the magazine. You have to seat them too deep causing unsafe pressure for the cases
Hornady's 300 grain XTP fits in them without dragging on the mag wall. That and I saw a 270 grain listed for recommended ammo on the MRI website. But we'll see what does and doesn't work in this old hand cannon. I think I need a tune up kit because my extractor is acting weird. I cycle the action dummies through it and on the last round it will only pull it halfway to 3/4ths way out of the chamber before letting go. Does it in all 5 mags and even without one in the gun.
I'mma call MRI tomorrow at lunch and get a couple questions answered that I couldn't get answered from digging around for them.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #20

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Your 629 is not going to go out of time shooting 44 magnum loads.Back a few years ago silouette shooting was very popular.The long ranges made people build up very hot loads above recomended pressures and shoot the hell out of them.Ruger and dan wesson built heavier stronger guns that would with stand the severe pounding and over presure loads. The smith and wessons cylinder stop would some times let loose. This would cause the cylinder to slip backwards one notch.You would pull the trigger and be on the spent cartidge you just shot.
Although agravating it was not dangerous and was address a few years later with deeper longer slots in the cylinder and beefed up internals that would not move.
You can fire thousands of full house 44 mag loads through your 629 and it wont take your gun out of time. It is very rare for a smith and wesson to go out of time.There never was a timming problem just the lock slipping loose for one notch.
I am a member of the smith and wesson forums and we occasionaly get some one who has bought into this myth usualy started by some one with a ruger.
You can go to smith and wesson forums where they will explain to you the same thing I just did. You will get manny model 29 and 629 owners who have fired thousands of rounds through there guns with no problems posting.You exceed recomended pressures on any gun including a ruger its not wise.
You stay with in the recomended pressure ranges of your gun and unless your rich and got a lot fo time to waste ammo your gun will out last you and more than likely a few gernerations after you.