.44 magnum SD load - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

.44 magnum SD load

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I think some of these bad boys(260 gr) loaded with 10.5 gr of HS-6 at a BHN of about 10-12 would fit the bill and are the most accurate bullets I cast for the 44.

.44 magnum SD load - Ammunition & Reloading

.44 magnum SD load - Ammunition & Reloading

Old 09-27-2011, 03:46 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

try the Hornady 44 special with the 180gr JHP/XTP bullet. mv=1000fps. this is one of the loads i carry in my 4" Taurus 44mag Tracker. good penetration, recoil isn't bad either.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

ColColt, non-expanding ammo would be wasting a lot of potential of the .44mag for SD. Without expansion, even a 180gr bullet will thru-penetrate most any human from most any angle, and with less recoil.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
ColColt, non-expanding ammo would be wasting a lot of potential of the .44mag for SD. Without expansion, even a 180gr bullet will thru-penetrate most any human from most any angle, and with less recoil.
Tell that to the boys that trust their lives to the 230 gr FMJ in 45 ACP. Lots of better ammo IMO for that caliber but many use nothing else. If you cast a bullet like the one pictured soft enough, with a humongous meplat such as that bullet has, it will expand and loaded down to 950 fps it becomes a great SD load. I don't advocate using the 44 Magnum as a SD weapon but consider the 45 Colt using a 255 gr lead bullet at about 850 fps. Probably one of the greatest fight stoppers of all time. that bullet was pure lead. Ithas to be soft to expand regardless the caliber.

Last edited by ColColt; 09-28-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:05 AM   #15

Liked 231 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I have often thought about getting some of these Speer Gold Dot's,they advertise 200gr@1075fps,but would probably be a little quicker than that in your 6",they would be just about as powerful(energy wise) as the standard 44M 240gr load but lighter and with less penetration.
649873.jpg  
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
Tell that to the boys that trust their lives to the 230 gr FMJ in 45 ACP. Lots of better ammo IMO for that caliber but many use nothing else. If you cast a bullet like the one pictured soft enough, with a humongous meplat such as that bullet has, it will expand and loaded down to 950 fps it becomes a great SD load. I don't advocate using the 44 Magnum as a SD weapon but consider the 45 Colt using a 255 gr lead bullet at about 850 fps. Probably one of the greatest fight stoppers of all time. that bullet was pure lead. Ithas to be soft to expand regardless the caliber.
i am not going to dispute your reasoning, as you make a valid point. but as the OP said he is not a handloader and was looking for input on factory ammo. if he is not handloading ammo and has no equipment to do it with, then your suggestions are a moot point.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:20 AM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I never said it couldn't get the job done, just that it would be wasting a lot of the potential of the cartridge to damage tissue. Even at low (for a magnum) velocities, it has plenty of mass and velocity to expand a bullet and still penetrate well. Basically, if you're going to use a .44mag, you might as well use ammo that is more effective. Just the same, if I were going to use a .45, I might as well use ammo that is significantly more effective, even if FMJ is "good enough" (though I'd never willingly use FMJ ammo in any defensive handgun).

I don't know for sure, but I do have a hard time believing that any solid cast bullet will expand at such low velocities, without being as soft as play-dough :P .

But yeah, stick to the ~200gr loads as they will offer good expansion and decent penetration without a whole lot of recoil.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:14 AM   #18

That particular bullet would have to be great if you're into handgun hunting. That large meplat measures .33" which is about the size of buckshot. With it's flat nose, it would impart a lot of shock compared say to the FMJ or a round nose lead bullet-sort of like a SWC. Due to it's design it doesn't have to expand to be effective although you can order molds with a "cherry" or pins to make hollow points if desired.

Again, I don't advocate using the 44 Mag for SD as few of us could be accurate enough for follow up shots if needed. Where that caliber and that bullet would really shine is if you knew a perp would come calling and was 6'-4" and about 300 pounds and was wearing a lot of clothes. However, we can't pick them but we can pick our choice of weapon. For me that's a 1911 and 230 gr JHP's.

Reloading is about the only way I can shoot 2-3 times a month. Factory ammo is out of sight so, I cast my own. Even commercial bullets for reloading, like Hornady, is about $30/100. I can cast a lot of bullets for $30. This way you can practice a lot and only occasionally use your choice of factory SD ammo to familiarize yourself and be assured it will function in your gun. That's the only reason I'd buy it.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:50 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Due to it's design it doesn't have to expand to be effective
Yeah, it would be effective, but still not nearly as effective an expanding bullet against a 2-legged threat. An expanding bullet would easily create 3-4x the wound volume over a non-expanding bullet, within the <2' of flesh the bullet would travel through a human.

Quote:
For me that's a 1911 and 230 gr JHP's.
Oh yeah, there are definitely better general-purpose SD guns than any .44 mag .

Quote:
Reloading is about the only way I can shoot 2-3 times a month. Factory ammo is out of sight so, I cast my own. Even commercial bullets for reloading, like Hornady, is about $30/100. I can cast a lot of bullets for $30. This way you can practice a lot and only occasionally use your choice of factory SD ammo to familiarize yourself and be assured it will function in your gun. That's the only reason I'd buy it.
Absolutely! I'm the exactly the same way, heh. I was putting about 150 rounds a week through my Raging Bull until class started again this semester, all for less than what it would have cost to put 150 rounds per month! You might also try BulletsDirect.com for bulk cast bullets if you want to buy rather than make your own, as they have he lowest prices for hardcast bullet, from a reliable source, that I've found anywhere online.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:28 AM   #20

as that i have several pistols in different calibers, i think that you need to practice with any gun that you would carry to protect yourself with. find a load that should be able to do what you need it to, and practice with it. then practice some more. IMO, i am a firm believer in expansion in a bullet. the more it expands, the more damage it does. if i'm carrying my 44mag. it has 44 specials loaded with 240gr jhp ammo, my 45 acp has 185gr jhp ammo, my 9mm has 124gr jhp, my wifes 380 auto has 90gr jhp ammo, and as soon as i pick up my 40 s-w, it will have 155gr jhp ammo in it when it's carried.