Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .44 Magnum load?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default .44 Magnum load?

Alrighty folks, i have been hunting a Ruger Model 44 (.44 magnum) and finally found one. It is a shooter! Should be fun come hunting season.

Being a tube fed, semi auto rifle, the factory (and common sense) dictates a flat nose bullet. I picked up (for a good price) a couple hundred 240 gr JHP bullets for reloading. Would all of you think these would work fine as far as riding in and not firing off in the tube under recoil? I personally think they would be fine...but would hate to find out the hard way!

Second, what would constitute a near factory load for 240 gr bullets? I will be using 2400 powder at this time as thats what i have and use for my .357s at the moment and not going to be buying any new powders for a while. I will also be using Large pistol magnum primers.

Looking thru my Lyman manual it is suggested with 2400 under a 240gr JHP 18.4gr starting load and 20.5 gr as the max load....i was thinking 19 gr even would be good.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions???

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't even think anyone makes a .44 bullet that would be sharp enough to present any danger .

But you're just fine with those bullets.

And yes that load, probably on the lower end, is around what most factory ammo would use for that bullet weight

*edit*

And btw I'm super jealous of that rifle .

Old 09-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
fmj

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Thanks man! That eases my mind a bit.

Quote:
And btw I'm super jealous of that rifle .
>>Back story (sorry for the length)<<

I have been hunting one for quite a while now. The ONLY one i saw locally was at a shop on consignment and the guy wanted STUPID money for it. I have seen a couple on GB.com but again i wasnt willing to pay that kind of money+ shipping+ transfer fees.

Flash forward a few months to a conversation i was having with a couple of my gun nut friends. They suggested i tag along with them to the largest gun show in the state. I figured WTH, its a Sat. and i really dont have anything else planned. Why not shoot the day on a road trip w/ friends and wander around drooling on guns and i just might find what i was looking for, in the price range i was willing to spend.

Well, we wandered around for a few hours looking at the wares on the tables and assorted firearms toted by private citizens. (i LOVE gun shows as i always come away thinking "What an AWESOME country this is") My buds traded what they brought, and bought what they were looking for, but i still hadnt seen a my rifle. Plenty of Ruger 10/22s and tons of .44 mag levers in blued and stainless, but no Ruger .44 mag. semis. I was about to despair, when from across the isle, i saw it!! I bounced across the isle, shouldered 4 guys out of the way, picked it up and it WAS a Ruger Model 44.

Then the dickering began! After 10 or so minutes of haggling, I laid out the benjamins. (its amazing how the sight of a handful benjamins weakens even the most stiff haggler) The 44 came to my safe over $200 under budget!! (which was promptly blown on a scope, .44 ammunition, .44 JHP bullets and assorted other reloading gear)

Out of over 100K guns (estimated vendors and private) i found the ONLY Ruger .44mag semi-auto in the house!!

I then went the next day to the local range. I was worried about function and grouping. Even tho she still had good rifling in the bore, i was a bit worried. I mean, she is after all a 44 y/o gun. But it turned out she fired fine and grouped VERY well, the gun shoots better then i do!

She has some "character marks" on the stock, but nothing too terrible IMHO as she IS a 44 y/o gun and has obviously been used and has prolly taken her fair share of game.

Now for some pics.

As purchased...

"Character marks"...

How she shoots...
(please remember, i wasnt out to dial in totally, i just wanted to get it on paper and see if it would group...i will be mounting different rings and scope and then dialing her in to perfection)

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know why more people wouldn't want those over other tube-fed rifles . Sucks they were discontinued.

Congrats on the purchase, now go out and have some fun with it!!!

Old 09-06-2011, 02:18 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Super jealous of the Mod 44. I like a lever gun in 44 mag but a semi-auto like this is just awesome. I dont understand why they were discontinued either, I could understand if it was for the 450 Bushmaster or the 458 Socom but its discontinue date was way before both of them. Maybe they'll come back one day.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.