44 mag

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 44 mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 44 mag

After hunting with shotgun and slugs for booners out here in Indiana for a few years, i got fed up with the recoil and inconsistent accuracy...

Finally got myself a single shot 44 mag rifle for gun season.

I'm thinking about reloading, but have never done so before. I'm the kind of guy that built my own computer, ties my own flies, etc. so i think i will really enjoy reloading.

My goal is an effective road for deer hunting. Right now I shoot LeverRevolution by Hornady, and like them a lot.

Can someone tell me everything i will need for reloading? any suggestions/tips/equipment recommendations would be great.

thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

My ruger 44 carbine likes the 300grn hornady softpoints. They can be hard to find but you dont need many to load up for deer season.

I prefer really heavy softpoint bullets for deer. They dont expand much so there is little meat damage but it knocks the deer dead on the spot.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #3

I was a Lightfield die-hard fan for so many years because my drop shot percentage was around 85%.... I wasn't too sure about the 44 mag performing on deer...

I have been told a 150 yard shot is no problem. What do you think?
I haven't seen the 300 grain Hornadys... ill look for them.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8707 Times on 3767 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

For reloading, the FIRST thing to get is a book- called The ABCs of Reloading.

Amazon.com: The ABCs Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide for Novice to Expert (9781440213960): Rodney James: Books

Beyond that, you will need a press, dies, shell holder, scales, brass, powder, primers and bullets. The equipment RARELY wears out- shop carefully on Ebay (GOD I hate them!) and it can be pretty cheap. There are other things you can add later, but that is about the bare bones.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
For reloading, the FIRST thing to get is a book- called The ABCs of Reloading.

Amazon.com: The ABCs Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide for Novice to Expert (9781440213960): Rodney James: Books

Beyond that, you will need a press, dies, shell holder, scales, brass, powder, primers and bullets. The equipment RARELY wears out- shop carefully on Ebay (GOD I hate them!) and it can be pretty cheap. There are other things you can add later, but that is about the bare bones.
Thanks for the tips!
seems like a great forum.