410 single projectile loads - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

410 single projectile loads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 664 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 976

Ballistic Products reloading manual has a 4rds 00buckshot 410 load that I have tried and like a lot. Also I have tried the 41 slug route, it works but accuracy is VERY gun dependant, best results were in a cylinder bore 410. I used an185 grain Speer hollow point and epoxied to stretch wads in new 2.5" BPS shells. The Stump hull version gave way too much hull free space. Takes two stumps to fill the hull sufficently to crimp(pagoda load). These needed roll crimping, star crimp gave inconsistant ignition in cold temps. Ballistic Products makes the 410 roll crimper I used. Powder charges used were the same as the buckshot loads, win296/h110 in a stiff charge. Hope this helps.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/load13_12_02.htm

Here's a link to some of their slug loads for the 410. Not exactly what your looking for, but a place to start....:thumbup:

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 08-06-2014 at 04:29 PM.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Dwmiller

ya that's a little different then what I been doing but worth A Try when I am able to the ranger I will be most defiantly trying this load.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #13

Liked 664 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2014 View Post
ya that's a little different then what I been doing but worth A Try when I am able to the ranger I will be most defiantly trying this load.
My buddy Charlie spent a couple years messing around with 410 slugs before he passed away. His conclusions were that

1) high velocity is the key to the 410. 1600fps+++
2) Med weight bullets/slugs, mainly wadcutters made the best slugs. 150-250 grains
3) attach the base was column to the slug for better accuracy. Look at the Breneke/Rotwieler slug design. Some of his early slugs were Lee mold castings with was columns attached with small wood screws.

A rifled barrel would make a huge difference. All he tested were smooth bores.

Lee has a custom mold service. I have often thought of having them make a 410 version of their drivekey slug.... food for thought. If you decide to go that route we might be able to get several of us to split the cost....:thumbup:

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!