40S&W Powders

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 40S&W Powders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 05:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 40S&W Powders

I live in Arizona and have been been shooting a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag 7.5 inch barrel for years. I also reload for this revolver. Well if you carry this anchor hiking for a day it gets a tad heavy by the end of the day. Great for snakeshot and rattlers but to heavy.
I recently bought a S&W model 4006 semi auto. Before I even fired the piece I had my dies ordered and 1000 pieces of once fired brass. I have ordered 180gr FMJ bullets for this project but they are on backorder. Since the bullets are backordered i have had lots of time for more research and case prep. I did manage to put 500 rounds of factory ammo through the pistol to start the break in process. It only reminded me why I reload for the 44. I dislike factory ammo with a passion. For me its hitting the bull not saving on the cost that makes me sit at the bench.
That was my personal intro guys now to the meat of the thread.
I have 1500 40S&W once fired federal cases decapped, annealed, tumbled, sized and reprimed with federal small pistol match primers. I need powder suggestions. Frankly I am slightly confused by the 8643 recipes i have seen for this round including 1 for 2400 magnum powder which I use for my 44 rounds. Ahhhhh NO!!!
Can I have some feedback on this "Medium burn fluffy fill the case" stuff I read about? Again the recipes I see range from 3.5 grains to 11 depending on the powder. 3.5 grains does not sound very fluffy to me it sounds hot. I find myself looking at power pistol and blue dot as my main choices. Whats is going to give me the best group?

That bullseye don't shoot back but it sure kills me. Help me git it!!!!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #2

Default bummer

wow no answers at all.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been using 3.3 grains of Clays behind a 180 grain Berry's bullet. This powder will not fill the case but is a very accurate and clean burning mid-range load that I use in my .40.

Just returned home this morning from an extended hunting weekend, otherwise, would have answered sooner. Good luck, Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2837 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 294

I've come to like Accurate #5, it's very versatile (but not terribly fluffy). More importantly, My powder measure likes it too. 6.0 gr AA#5 behind a 165 FP MC (Yeah I know, it's really light, but it shoots nice) works really well in my XD40SC, I have some 180gr loads, but I'm at work and i can't remember them.
If your measure will work with it, Unique works well, I just ran out of patience. The loads I did test worked well in both .45 and .40.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/AccGuidev3.4version.pdf

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 10-18-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #5

Xsweezeme,
I've used unique, bullseye and am about to try power pistol. If, by fluffy, you mean large flake powder, unique most closely fits that descripton, but be careful for what you ask for. I find that it is a very good powder choice, except that it meters in my equipment about as good as cornflakes. Bullseye and power pistol are very similar in consistency (to each other, and as I recall about like 2400, though it's been years since I've used 2400) and lend themselves to metering very well. Of those two, power pistol is the slower burning powder, and probably the best choice.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I may seem old school with my use of the "Dot" powders but I like to limit the powders I have on hand. Red Dot @ 5.0 grains launches my 175 gr cast TC bullet very accurately. It also doubles for loads in all my non-magnum loads. Blue Dot will cause the same bullet to scream at 1150 fps from a Speer nickle plated case with a charge of 9.5 gr. It also is the powder of choice for my magnum shotgun loads.

I have used W-231 with good results, but it got hard to find so I switched to the Red Dot.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #7

Default powder choice

I want to thank those of you that share thier great dark secrets with me
Yesterday I finally bought a pound of powder to start loading these 40 S&W's.
After almost 2 weeks of research I made a choice. There are so many powders out there it was really hard to pick 1. I noticed doing my research factory ammo velocities were in the 1040 to 1100 range. I wanted to try to stay close to these numbers. This narrows the field alot. None of the Accurate powders produce this result except #2 at max charge. The powders i did narrow it down to were. Power Pistol, Longshot, Blue Dot and Unique in that order. Since the local shop didnt have any power pistol i bought Longshot. According to the data i found 6.5 grains should fire at 1009fps and a max load of 8 grains @ 1159fps.
Since i have 1500 pieces of brass I am going to load 100 rounds at 6.5 and 100 @6.6 and so on up the ladder.
Loading for my 44 I noticed i get better results with a velocity slightly lower than factory ammo so hopefully I find a happy group in the first few boxes when I start test firing.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #8

Please don`t forget WW 231. It is a ball powder that works well in most pistol rounds.

patret

Old 10-22-2010, 11:51 PM   #9

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

I've used Unique, 2400, HS-6, W231, and AA#7. I really haven't found one powder I prefer over the others.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #10

Default 40 s&w powders

I use Winchester 231 in my Glock 40 S&W. I mainly load 150 to 165 gr bullets. Accuracy, consistancy and performance have been excellent.