Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Ammunition & Reloading (
-   -   40cal reloading (

BullseyePrecision 01-10-2012 01:20 PM

40cal reloading
I heard someone saying the 40cal gun shouldnt shoot reloads, any thoughts?

hiwall 01-10-2012 01:40 PM

every gun can shoot reloads. good reloads are the same(or better) as factory loads.

Overkill0084 01-10-2012 03:06 PM

Reloading .40 S&W is alive & well. Now in some instances there are limitations as to what is advisable in certain guns. I understand that shooting cast in a OEM Glock barrel is not without it's issues. Same for ported barrels. But then, this isn't restricted to .40 S&W. But as a general rule, you're good to go if you approach it logically & safely.

mtbfarms 01-10-2012 03:51 PM

I think that might be coming from reloading brass that has been shot from a glock. The chambers are not fully supported and will swell the brass and can cause chambering issues if the brass is not fully sized. If it is loaded correctly you will not have any issues.

TheOldMan 01-10-2012 05:26 PM

Recently reloaded 500 rnds of .40 using golden saber bullets for a buddy of mine. He's not reported any issues running them through his XDM Springfield.

BullseyePrecision 01-10-2012 08:04 PM

Anyone shot any through their glocks?

tiberius10721 01-10-2012 08:20 PM

I believe the issue with glocks is that their barrels have hexagonal rifling so if you want to shoot cast lead out of them you have to change barrels. I know a few people who reload for their glocks and they all use jacketed bullets. Personally if I was new to reloading I would not start with a 40 cal glock because it is a high pressure pistol cartridge and their is not much room for error. If this is your first time reloading try reloading 38 specials for something like a gp100 357 mag at least if you make a mistake you have a lot more room for error.

noylj 01-11-2012 05:18 AM

The .40 is a very "temperamental" round in my experience. If you want a full-power load, be sure to use an appropriate SLOW powder (HS6, Silhouette, and True Blue have been very good in my guns).
Use the loads in a couple of good manuals. Start with the lowest starting load and work up.
Powders faster than AA5 tend to spike pressures in the .40S&W, and Clays is bad enough with spiky pressures in normal cartridges that I would not use it.
There is no problem reloading the cartridge, but I just don't think that it was really made to shoot at the SAAMI pressures of hot factory rounds. I think it was brought out too soon, and too hot for that size case.
It is a real joy in terms of accuracy if you don't push velocity/pressure. AA5 at mid-range velocities is VERY accurate.
The use of bullets of less than 180gn will also eliminate some of the "temperamental" issues. No matter what any one says, the "best" bullet weights are 145-165gn.
Now, if you want to get into action pistol shooting with .40S&W major and you want to use a very fast powder, then you are walking on edge of a KB, as many competitors have found out for themselves. I mean, it isn't hard to make major, but the extremely fast propellant choice is not optimum.
I don't even want to get into 9mm Major. It only exists because of the cost of .38 Super brass, but the rounds are loaded almost as long as .38 super (and bullet set-back is really nasty).

armsmaster270 01-11-2012 05:21 AM

I have had no problems with my .40 loads shot in a Sig 226 and a S&W Sigma.

robocop10mm 01-11-2012 12:49 PM

I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds of 40 S&W w/o any issues. Glock pistols have issues that have caused the maker to "disallow" reloads. If your pistol will not hold up to reloads, then I have no use for your pistol, Gaston.