.40 SW, where is it used?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .40 SW, where is it used?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default .40 SW, where is it used?

I've come up with a theory on why 9mm beats .40 SW and .45 ACP. The theory states that 9mm is more readily available world wide since it is NATO, so if WW3 or the Zombie Apocalypse ever happened, there would be more 9mm ammo circulating around and easier to get your hands on.

Now this made me think about the .40 SW and made me wonder if it is used in other countries....I always believed it was just a police round used exclusively in the US, but maybe you can tell me,is the .40 SW cartridge used in other countries? or just the US?

Much thanks

-Indy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Unless you plan on sitting out the zombie apocolypse in, say, Germany it is a moot point. The real consideration is what caliber of ammo will be readily available in your area. .40 S&W is very popular with LE and many civilians in many areas of the USA.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Last edited by robocop10mm; 11-12-2011 at 04:44 AM.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6033 Times on 3163 Posts
Likes Given: 432

if all you gotta do is pop a zombie in the brain 22lr is the best zombie round.

but i dont think it matters whats being used in zimbabwe as i personally wont be planning an overseas tour during a zombie invasion....

if you plan on finding ammo off the fallen then your almost going to 100% find the gun that goes with the ammo you run across. take what ya got on hand and do battlefield pickups as needed

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 11-12-2011 at 04:46 AM.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

9x19 has stayed popular since most of the world are truly sissies when it comes to recoil in a handgun. Plus, like the 5.56mm, any round that uses less brass must be better--according to the bean-counters. You're just going to be spraying lead downrange, so all you need is the cheapest ammo available.