Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   .380 SD ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/380-sd-ammo-81011/)

karateguy28 01-11-2013 07:24 PM

.380 SD ammo

hey all, just wanted opinions on 2 possible self defense .380 rounds, the Corbon 90 grain JHP and the Hornady 90 gr FTX critical defense. any personal experiences with either? i feel both are solid rounds overall. fyi, they will be loaded in a sig p238. thank you in advance.

treehugger49 01-11-2013 09:59 PM

Don't you hate it when you pose a question with choice A or B, and some know-it-all comes up with C?

Studies have shown that the .380 has the potential to be lacking in penetration when using hollow point bullets, particularly when the target might be wearing heavy clothing. For this reason, I choose to load my LCP with FMJ ammo for self defense.

I don't know much about Corbon JHP, but I can testify to poor performance of Hornady's Critical Defense .380 out of my LCP (well broken in). Out of three mags (18 rounds) two failed to fire - dented primers but no detonation. They both fired on the second attempt. I contacted Hornady several times via email with appropriate information including lot number of the box, and never got so much as a reply.

I later found out through several forums that during that time period Hornady was using primers that were known to be "harder" than necessary, yet chose to do nothing about it. That might be fine for target ammo, but for self-defense ammo I feel that is unconscionable.

kryptar19 01-11-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treehugger49
Don't you hate it when you pose a question with choice A or B, and some know-it-all comes up with C?

Studies have shown that the .380 has the potential to be lacking in penetration when using hollow point bullets, particularly when the target might be wearing heavy clothing. For this reason, I choose to load my LCP with FMJ ammo for self defense.

I don't know much about Corbon JHP, but I can testify to poor performance of Hornady's Critical Defense .380 out of my LCP (well broken in). Out of three mags (18 rounds) two failed to fire - dented primers but no detonation. They both fired on the second attempt. I contacted Hornady several times via email with appropriate information including lot number of the box, and never got so much as a reply.

I later found out through several forums that during that time period Hornady was using primers that were known to be "harder" than necessary, yet chose to do nothing about it. That might be fine for target ammo, but for self-defense ammo I feel that is unconscionable.

That's strange, one should only expect Hornady to only ever put out the BEST ammo.
I've used the Hornady's a lot and only ever had good experiences.

OP, I've never used the Corbon, but like I said I like the Hornady's.

treehugger49 01-11-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryptar19 (Post 1089816)
That's strange, one should only expect Hornady to only ever put out the BEST ammo.
I've used the Hornady's a lot and only ever had good experiences.

OP, I've never used the Corbon, but like I said I like the Hornady's.

I've had good overall experiences with Hornady, too. Specifically, I've used their LEVERevolution 30-30 and V-MAX .223 with great success.

I was just extremely disappointed in the performance of Critical Defense, and their apparent disregard of my concerns.

kryptar19 01-11-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treehugger49

I've had good overall experiences with Hornady, too. Specifically, I've used their LEVERevolution 30-30 and V-MAX .223 with great success.

I was just extremely disappointed in the performance of Critical Defense, and their apparent disregard of my concerns.

I hate to hear about bad experiences from companies with a track record for perfection.

I may buy some more .380 CD just to see if I have a similar experience.

JonM 01-12-2013 04:31 AM

normally hollowpoints are the best choice for self defense. in calibers of 380acp or less you should use fmj rounds o ensure the round gets through heavy clothes and bone. hollow points just dont cut it in guns chambered in 380acp. i use winchester whitebox in my 380's

ScottA 01-12-2013 05:01 AM

I've carried Hornady CD in my 380 for almost 2 years. I haven't experienced one problem with it. Albeit, I don't make it a habit to shoot thru several boxes at the range.

karateguy28 01-12-2013 12:17 PM

thanks everyone! i forgot to mention that i may alternate rounds in my magazine with fmj's and hollowpoints. i've seen many responses about ppl who do this to get te best of both worlds. i guess i'll just try out the ammo for themselves and see what i like and what works! thanks all!

John_Deer 01-12-2013 12:32 PM

Fiocchi 380 FMJ ammo has as much energy as a lot of SD loads (210 Foot pounds). It functions well in almost any 380. Aguila is good 380 FMJ ammo as well. You can hear the difference between aguila and WWB.

robocop10mm 01-12-2013 02:42 PM

I love it...a few years ago the velocity was too low for HP ammo in .380 to even expand at all. HP was a waste of money. Now the HP ammo is unlikely to penetrate sufficiently to reach vital organs because it expands too much. THE SAME AMMO!!

Please. .380 pistols are marginal to minimal manstoppers. Shoot whatever feeds reliably and plan of shooting several shots.