Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Is 380 Automatic and 380 ACP ammo the same? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/380-automatic-380-acp-ammo-same-24497/)

taderhold 03-11-2010 04:24 AM

Is 380 Automatic and 380 ACP ammo the same?

I bought an old Bersa 380 which came with a few ACP cartridges which cycled through the gun okay. When I purchased new Remington 102 grain hollow points, the gun started failing to cycle the shells properly and not firing. Is there a difference in these shells, which are identified on the box as 380 automatic and the 380 ACP shells which came with the gun?

DrumJunkie 03-11-2010 04:31 AM

380's sometimes have trouble with hollow point ammo. I had a Bersa as well and it had the same issue with HP. In answer to your question yes they are the same. And welcome to thew forum (I see it's your first post) Stop by and say hi at the introduction threads:)

Car54 03-11-2010 04:44 AM

All my .380 boxes of ammo show .380 automatic, and .380 auto stamped on the case, when I ordered them they were listed as .380 acp. Should all be the same. In some cases, guns might not like a certain brand or type of ammo, I would try several different types and if the problem remains it may be something internal or the mag that's giving you the problem. You also might let someone familiar with handguns shoot your gun to see if the problem remains.

Being new to the forum, would you tiptoe over to the introduction section and give the rest of the members a hello and a little bit of info on you.

robocop10mm 03-11-2010 09:08 PM

The official "name" of the .380 round is the .380 ACP or Automatic Colt Pistol. It was invented by John Browning, so it must be good;).

Many pistols chambered in .380 do not do well with HP ammo. Try the Speer Gold Dot. It hs a reputation for feeding like FMJ.

JonM 03-11-2010 09:54 PM

i sit in front he the TV with snap caps cycling them over and over and over in new guns to help break in the parts. pisses the wife off. i think i do it more to hear her yell than any real good it does for the gun. sometimes new guns will have issues with cycling for the first 500-1000 rounds. if the problem persists after that then pick new ammo.

DoyleTheDog 03-11-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 246008)
The official "name" of the .380 round is the .380 ACP or Automatic Colt Pistol. It was invented by John Browning, so it must be good;).

Many pistols chambered in .380 do not do well with HP ammo. Try the Speer Gold Dot. It hs a reputation for feeding like FMJ.

I can verify this. I put 100 Speer Gold Dot hollow points through my Bersa .380 with zero feeding problems. I currently have some Hornady critical defense ammo that I plan on testing. I hope they workout because I'd rather load up my .380 with them....

Dragonheart 04-02-2010 02:09 AM

A 380 by any other name

The 380, 380 ACP (automatic colt pistol), 9mm Kurz, 9mm Browning Short, 9mm Corto are different names for the same cartridge, depending on what part of the world you are in.

For a defense round I would suggest a round nose hollow point bullet as it should function without a problem in a firearm that has no mechanical issues. I prefer the Remington 102 grain Golden Sabre bullet as it has excellent expansion and penetration and can be loaded to approximately 1000 feet per second.

Hope this answers your question.

KRAGGY69 04-04-2010 03:58 PM

taterhole might be confused like me i thought they were all the same to but when i went to buy a box of reloads the box said will not work in bersa (for a friend.and yes the critacal defense rounds work awesome in his

oopps taderhold sorry

c3shooter 04-04-2010 06:38 PM

Therein lies the attraction of a revolver for serious social occassions. Different autos have different springs. I load 45 ACP for ONE of my pistols that has very light springs. Will NOT cycle a standard 1911A1.