357 magnum for home defense

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 357 magnum for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default 357 magnum for home defense

I have always used a 357 for home defense. However, I now live in an apartment and wonder if this is too much gun, as it could penetrate walls and endanger others. Would fragmentation loads be better and are they adequate for personal defense, and if so at what range do they become ineffective? I've no experience with them, so input is greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #2

well here is the round you need. Its a hornady critical defense

here is the website you need to see the round for your gun:
Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 357 Mag :: 357 Mag 125 gr Critical Defense®

and

here is the video you need to watch to become a complete believer!

this bullet will make your 357 mag safe to use as a self defense in your appartment. it will kill the **** out of who ever comes in unwelcome and wont go through walls after words. hope this helps.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's an interesting question... Here's a couple related links:

Mag Safe Ammo - Pre-Fragmented Saftey Ammunition Handcrafted In The USA

Mag Safe Ammo - Pre-Fragmented Saftey Ammunition Handcrafted In The USA

Another consideration is you can always step down a bit to .38+p or even standard .38's... also, the .357 Magnum is an "ear-splitting" bright-flashing round for close-quarters indoors... some think it's maybe too much... so you're not alone in your concerns.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 03-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
the .357 Magnum is an "ear-splitting" bright-flashing round for close-quarters indoors...
for me personally if my life or my families lives were in danger i wont care how bad the ol' ears would be ring or how bright the flash was. you gotta do what you gotta do. thats "my" personal opinion though.

but i agree with you on the 38spl idea.