Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .357 Mag question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Default .357 Mag question

I am fairly new to handloading, and I want to start loading some .357 magnum loads. Most of what I load will be shot through a lever action rifle. Out of the 3 recipe books I have, only 1 has load data for rifle. My question is, is it safe to use the pistol load data with pistol powder to shoot out of a rifle? Or should I stay with the rifle powder? All of the factory loads I have purchased have been shot through both my rifle and my revolver. I have asked around here locally, but I get a lot of unsure answers! Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam10-32 View Post
I am fairly new to handloading, and I want to start loading some .357 magnum loads. Most of what I load will be shot through a lever action rifle. Out of the 3 recipe books I have, only 1 has load data for rifle. My question is, is it safe to use the pistol load data with pistol powder to shoot out of a rifle? Or should I stay with the rifle powder? All of the factory loads I have purchased have been shot through both my rifle and my revolver. I have asked around here locally, but I get a lot of unsure answers! Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Yes, standard .357 loads will work fine. For that matter, .38 special will probably work OK as well, check the rifle's instructions to remove any doubt.

"Rifle" data is probably much the same as the "Ruger Only" data you will find in some manuals. It's extremely hot for caliber and very likely, over maximum SAAMI specs. Since you are new to the reloading game I would stay away from them, at least until you have a good grasp on & are comfortable with your process.
Caution: "Rifle" or Ruger Only" loads will need to be clearly marked so they don't find their way into less...robust guns.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Last edited by Overkill0084; 02-16-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks overkill. So , I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. It is safe and you do recommend that I start with the pistol load data and pistol powders, correct? I figured it was, but I really don't want to ruin one of my favorite rifles, or worse, by using pistol powder in a rifle!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam10-32 View Post
Thanks overkill. So , I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. It is safe and you do recommend that I start with the pistol load data and pistol powders, correct? I figured it was, but I really don't want to ruin one of my favorite rifles, or worse, by using pistol powder in a rifle!
Anything that is safe to fire in your favorite revolver will be safe in your lever gun. As long as your within specifications with your loads, the gun won't care what powder is being used.
That said, with your rifle, you will achieve higher performance with powders on the slower end of the spectrum, as they are able to take better advantage of the longer barrel.

I like Alliant 2400 myself, but there are plenty of others that will do the job as well.
If you end up with H110or Win 296, pay close attention to the data, they are a go big or stay home kind of deal.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Last edited by Overkill0084; 02-16-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084

Anything that is safe to fire in your favorite revolver will be safe in your lever gun. As long as your within specifications with your loads, the gun won't care what powder is being used.
That said, with your rifle, you will achieve higher performance with powders on the slower end of the spectrum, as they are able to take better advantage of the longer barrel.

I like Alliant 2400 myself, but there are plenty of others that will do the job as well.
If you end up with H110or Win 296, pay close attention to the data, they are a go big or stay home kind of deal.
Good to know! I have the H110 on hand, and since the shelves are pretty bare around here, I doubt I'll be able to find the Alliant. Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

The "rifle" data is likely pretty hot, but should be safe in a quality revolver. The rifle data is likely slower burning powders that will benefit from the longer barrel. The same loads in a revolver will likely yield greater muzzle blast due to powder not burning completely in the shorter barrel.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #7

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Yes it is safe. The factory loads that you have been shooting is all for pistols(most likely). You do not say what brand gun you have so you "might" have to be careful if you have a Win 1873 reproduction rifle as those actions are not real strong.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
Yes it is safe. The factory loads that you have been shooting is all for pistols(most likely). You do not say what brand gun you have so you "might" have to be careful if you have a Win 1873 reproduction rifle as those actions are not real strong.
It's a Marlin model 1894 that I've been shooting since I was a kid! I saved it about 12 years ago when my dad tried to trade it in on a single shot .223, I believe. I just paid him the cost of the rifle he wanted and took possession of it.

Name:  image-3422378371.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  26.3 KB

Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

I've been reloading the .357 Magnum since 1965. Over the years I've tried darn near everything.

About 25 years ago, I settled on H110 as my "go to" powder for .357, and .44 Magnum. It works very well in both. It does however, like fairly hot loads. Not over max, but close to max.

It's also very slow burning, so it will really shine in a rifle length barrel.

It's an easy powder to work up loads with, and flows through powder measures perfectly.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #10

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Iam, when u think about it, how do the factory cartridges know what u r going to put them in?