Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .357 Mag Man Stopper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default .357 Mag Man Stopper

Reed's makes excellent ammunition at good prices. Matt and I use his 124g XTP load in out Star Modelo A Supers in 9mm Largo.

These remind me of a variation of Jim Cirillo's bullets. I think they might be onto something here.

Reed's Ammunition & Research, LLC
Excellence In Pursuit Of Perfection

Reed's Ammunition & Research, LLC

.357 Magnum 158g and 200g Man Stopper

The Man Stopper bullet is full caliber wide open hollow point design specifically for self defense applications. It features a modified flat base for accuracy due to the 90 degree base and superior flight characteristics. It's full caliber hollow point face begins expansion immediately upon contact and the interior button creates tissue upset to ensure maximum energy transfer as well as prevent clogging from material. Available in .45 Auto Rim and .45 Long Colt as a 260g bullet, .44 Special and .44 Magnum as a 225g bullet, and .357 and .38 Special as a 110g, 158g, and 200g bullet. Coming soon as a 140g for the .38 S&W. See the review of our ammunition and the Man Stopper bullet in the 2011 Gun Digest.

"REMEMBER – What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default whoah

They are some nasty looking bullets

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

Old 02-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

kilogulf59, this is some interesting stuff! Right now I'm using Speer's 135gr+P short barrel ammo as PD in my S@W 640, clocking 880s to 905fps from the 1-7/8" barrel. Do you think their ammo would give me an edge over the Speer stuff? BTW, it's not a .357MAG chambered revolver, but .38SPL, & it's capable of withstanding warm loads because of its design. The original version of it was laser-engraved "+P+" on the bottom of the cylinder window, (tho later runs had that eliminated cause some people tried to run .357mag-strength loads out of it & blew em up) If there's something out there that beats the Speer ammo for PD, I'd like to know about it. Maybe I should contact Reed's & discuss it with them. Anyway, thanx for any feedback, jd45

Old 02-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm interested. They look like wadcutters to me. At least that's the recipe data I would use for this kind of bullet. Too bad many don't reload for personal defense ammo. Maybe factory loads will be developed on this. Hey Kilogulf, is that what they're calling the "Harret" on their site?

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Last edited by fixxer; 02-20-2011 at 07:03 PM.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Fixxer, wish they'd offer their bullets as a reload component myself. Jd45 sorry for the caps......not yelling!

Last edited by jd45; 02-20-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: FORGET THE CAPS THINGIE

Old 02-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry folks, I forgot to subscribe to the thread and just checked back now.

They make these for all common revolver calibers and their link is Reed's Ammunition & Research, LLC Per their site “Many products and configurations are not listed. We have available calibers, loads, and bullets that are not listed in the main store. IF you need something we do not have listed, shoot us an e-mail, chances are we have it available. info@reedsammo.com

I’ve been using .38 Special 158 grain LSWCHP+P’s in my .38/.357 revolvers for years. It will take a lot to get me to change but I may pick up a box of these and see.

“Hey Kilogulf, is that what they're calling the "Harret" on their site?” I doubt it; grip maker Steve Herrett developed the .30 Herrett round listed, that is the only one I saw.

This type of bullet isn’t new, the late great Jim Cirillo worked up loads using DEWC’s at higher velocities. Eventually there was an attempt to market rounds that never panned out i.e. “Safe Stop” ammo.

You can roll your own though but not with Reed’s bullets. You have a hot DEWC load…no, they don’t expand but the ballistic channel they make is devastating and being sharp cornered they tend to dig in on rounded surfaces (the cranium) instead of ricocheting.

Even a standard WC ain’t bad for close-in work. I used them when I lived in a cheap apartment complex…walls like paper.

On ICCF we’ve covered this quite extensively and many of the contributors did a lot of detailed testing, it was quite interesting actually. I highly recommend Tennessee Valley Bullets; tell ole Jessie Ken sent ya Tennessee Valley Bullets

CAUTION/WARNING:

“Warmer” wadcutter loads require a DEWC or a button nose wadcutter. Do not and I repeat DO NOT HOT LOAD WITH A HBWC (HOLLOW BASE WADCUTTER.) I can practically guarantee that you will blow the nose of the bullet out the bore and have the skirt of the bullet stunk in the bore. Bore obstructions are a very bad thing for the shooter and the gun.

"REMEMBER – What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!"

Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Very wicked looking bullet.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7