Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   357 Mag bullet question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/357-mag-bullet-question-19746/)

spittinfire 11-03-2009 05:49 PM

357 Mag bullet question

So I picked up some H110 this weekend and started looking for good loads when I noticed all the loads use a jacketed bullet. I have in the ball park of 2000 Rainer bullets on hand but they are plated, not jacketed. They also recommend using cast bullet loads. Does anyone see a problem using these bullets? Will I have a fouling issue or will the bullet skip the rifling? Please share...

Thanks!

c3shooter 11-03-2009 09:50 PM

IIRC, use load data for a cast bullet. Plating is thin, and not as hard as jacket metal. Push too hard (hot jacketed bullet load) and they will strip on you.

spittinfire 11-03-2009 11:47 PM

That is what I was afraid of. Thank you....anyone else have thoughts?

BILLYBOB44 11-04-2009 12:24 AM

H-110/W-W 296 for PowerHouse Loads!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 182070)
That is what I was afraid of. Thank you....anyone else have thoughts?

Good News/Bad News==The Good News-those 2K plated bullets will make excellent Target/light game loads. Use Bullseye,Unique,WW-231/HP-38,several AA powders.=Bad News-Spittin, you NEED to buy some quality JACKETED bullets to use with the H-110. WW-296/H-110 are Magnum powders that only operate at/or near Max loading. You notice all data for these two powders only have 1 to 1 1/2 grain between the Min load and the Max load listed. Great performance can be had with 125,146,158gr. .357 bullets with these MAGNUM powders. Sooo, Spittin-go back to your supplier and get some quality jacketed bullets, or a TARGET grade powder, as those listed above--or BOTH!!!:):p:)

spittinfire 11-04-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 (Post 182087)
Good News/Bad News==The Good News-those 2K plated bullets will make excellent Target/light game loads. Use Bullseye,Unique,WW-231/HP-38,several AA powders.=Bad News-Spittin, you NEED to buy some quality JACKETED bullets to use with the H-110. WW-296/H-110 are Magnum powders that only operate at/or near Max loading. You notice all data for these two powders only have 1 to 1 1/2 grain between the Min load and the Max load listed. Great performance can be had with 125,146,158gr. .357 bullets with these MAGNUM powders. Sooo, Spittin-go back to your supplier and get some quality jacketed bullets, or a TARGET grade powder, as those listed above--or BOTH!!!:):p:)

I have the Rainiers for target and practice. I've found them to be accurate and clean, plus they're cheap. Now I've got a pound of powder and no bullets....I see a trip to the store in my near future. Thanks guys!

spittinfire 11-04-2009 12:20 PM

Hey, what bullets would you suggest? If I load 125gr, it will just be to play with. I'm looking at a possible hunting load out of a 6" barrel so I'm going 158 and up. I'm leaning towards 170gr and I like the idea of a soft point over a hollow point for penetration.

masterPsmith 11-04-2009 01:14 PM

What would you be planning to hunt. The 125 grainer would make a great SD load but is too light for much other than small game. If you plan on small to medium sized deer, I would suggest using a 158 grain soft point for better penetration if you are using jacketed bullets. On pig I would use a hard cast 158 grain SWC at near mag velocities. Without getting into all the details why, when I used .357 for hunting in the past, all my hunting loads were loaded using the hard cast 158 gr SWC. They always penetrated to the vitals and performed very well.......If you want, I will PM you some loads. I will not list my handgun hunting loads on an open forum for liability issues.

Jim...........

spittinfire 11-05-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masterPsmith (Post 182260)
What would you be planning to hunt. The 125 grainer would make a great SD load but is too light for much other than small game. If you plan on small to medium sized deer, I would suggest using a 158 grain soft point for better penetration if you are using jacketed bullets. On pig I would use a hard cast 158 grain SWC at near mag velocities. Without getting into all the details why, when I used .357 for hunting in the past, all my hunting loads were loaded using the hard cast 158 gr SWC. They always penetrated to the vitals and performed very well.......If you want, I will PM you some loads. I will not list my handgun hunting loads on an open forum for liability issues.

Jim...........

PM sent.....

c3shooter 11-05-2009 06:52 PM

Well, I do hunting loads for a TEN inch (Dan Wesson) revolver. I use 165 gr JSP, and 2400 powder. 2400 seems a trifle dirty, but you KNOW that was not a .38 wadcutter you just shot!

Am preparing to load some 200 grainers. The hunting loads are for Virginia Whitetail deer, range is about 50 yrds (hunting in laurel thicket country- you can't SEE more than 50 yards, and deer are small)

A good heavy bullet matched to right powder and primer, that DW shoots more like a carbine than a revolver.

McX358 11-06-2009 05:44 AM

just setp above cast

Treat them ass csat, the plating is all that is is, will give some portection below 1000 PFS but no much; only plated over the lead..BUt they are not jacket at all.