35 Whelen Reloads?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 35 Whelen Reloads?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 35 Whelen Reloads?

Anyone reload the 35 Whelen? I picked up a NIB Rem 750 in 35 Whelen recently--have brass, RL-15, and Accubond 225gr bullets as a start. Doing a general Montana load ( Mule deer/elk/moose/black bear). Any pet loads out there?

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I've got a Rem 7600 pump. So far my most accurate load has been 53gr of RL-15/rem case/fed 210 primer pushing a 250gr Hornady Pointed Interlock, the only bullet I've tried. Groups consistently 3/4" @ 100yds
My younger cousin using 54gr RL-15 in his Mod 700cdl with the 250 Interlock, groups slightly better than mine, averages 1/2".
He didn't have much luck with accuracy when he tried the 225 Accubond, not alot of bearing surface to allow for fine tuning bullet seating depth, maybe thats why. Might have needed more fine tuning, but he gave up on the 225's since groups were running 1.5 to 2"
Another friend has been using Varget/250gr Interlock with good results out of his 700cdl, I'm not sure about his load details however.

I am pleasantly surprised how well the 250's shot out of the remingtons. Alot of what I had read said the 1-16twist was a little slow for bullets that heavy.

All three whelens were purchased last summer so we haven't made much time to really fine tune the loadings. Mine in particular is a relatively light load, Hornady book max is 55.1gr. I need to start working on it again. Would like to find a little hotter load that shoots as well as the 53gr I worked up before hunting season last year.
Good luck and keep us posted if you get something good cooked up!

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 05-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Gate! I started with 225s as I wanted something with a little flatter trajectory, but may go to 250s if i can't come up with a good load. Apparently Remington did a run of 35 Whelens in the new 750--I went to a gun show a few months ago and a dealer had 5 of them NIB that he had for awhile and couldn't sell--not a popular round in Nebraska, but I hunt Montana and it's a renowned load up there. Got my 750 for $485--I should have bought 2!

Old 05-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #4

I don't have any of my data handy but I'll concur with using the 250's versus the 225's. They do much better in my 700 than the 225's. This is using IMR4895 PD. One exception I've found to the "lighter" bullet is the Nosler Accubond 225 grain. Lately I've been pouring my own Saeco 245 grainers and experimenting with that, shows promise. A lot easier on the shoulder too.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcomf View Post
I don't have any of my data handy but I'll concur with using the 250's versus the 225's. They do much better in my 700 than the 225's. This is using IMR4895 PD. One exception I've found to the "lighter" bullet is the Nosler Accubond 225 grain. Lately I've been pouring my own Saeco 245 grainers and experimenting with that, shows promise. A lot easier on the shoulder too.
I'm gpiong try try 225 Accubonds with RL-15 this weekend--will let you know how it goes.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Shot the 35 Whelen this past weekend. Worked up loads with Rem brass, WW large rifle primers, RL15 powder, and Nosler Accubond 225gr bullets. Factory loads (rem 200gr pp) patterned about 2 inches out of my Remington 750. 56 gr RL15 brought it down to almost an inch and half three shot group. Then went to 58 grains RL15, first two shots were 1/2 inch apart, then the extractor broke on my rifle. So, need to have that fixed and go again, but it looks like 58 grains of RL15 with the 225 Accubond will be a great load. No high pressure indicators, and it is a grain under the max load listed in the Nosler reloading book.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

The question is why did the extractor break? Make sure you are not setting the shoulder back too much. If the sizing die is set too low, you can bump the shoulder back creating an excessive headspace condition that can contribute to a broken extractor.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The question is why did the extractor break? Make sure you are not setting the shoulder back too much. If the sizing die is set too low, you can bump the shoulder back creating an excessive headspace condition that can contribute to a broken extractor.
Thanks, good recommendation--I'll check that to make sure.