.308 reloads
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .308 reloads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .308 reloads

Started to try some thing new. I put 3.5 grains less then listed in the reloading book and got 1/2in better grouping. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #2

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

There seems to be a big difference between the different reloading manuals in their suggested powder charge ranges for the same cartridges and bullet weights. I know bullet design is part of the reason for the difference but the powder charge range can vary greatly with the different manuals. With my limited expertise I always play it safe and stay within the suggested guidelines for the different bullets.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #3

Oh, by the way, 41.5 grains of IMR4064 with a Hornady 168-grain A-Max bullet works very well in my Savage bolt-action .308. The C.O.L. is 2.80. 42.0 grains of IMR4895 with a Sierra 168-grain Matchking bullet produces great results also. The .308 is fun to load for.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default 3.5 grains less than listed in the reloading book

This scares me. 3.5 grains less than what listing? Max or starting load?
If below the Max listing,. I would hope so. If below the starting load, did you ever hear of detonation?
Fifty years and 100 pounds ago I was a skinny kid just starting to reload. I was loading for a British 303 and determined that I wanted to load some light loads. The first one fired detonated and froze the bolt. Eventually I got the bolt to open and the case head had flowed back into the bolt! I was lucky. I still have and shoot that rifle. Get the point?

As for getting better accuracy by adjusting your load. That is the name of the game. After selecting you bullet and powder, load a sample (I normally go with 5 rounds) within the bracket of minimum and maximum as listed in a loading book that I trust (I will compare several book's data.) Depending upon the amount of spread, I will load a number of samples. This is with fully processed and consistent brass and the same primer type. Then test fire each group in order, looking for any pressure signs as I go. As each test group is fired at different paper targets, I will get a good idea where the 'sweet spot' is going to be for that weapon. There is no rime or reason to which loading combination will work better or worse in a given weapon. The results are some powder charges will work better or worse. I load for two different M1 Garands and they don't like the best loading for the other. The good news is the loading for the SPFD is so close to the preferred loading for my 03A3.

Things to be picky about: trim length of brass (bottle neck cases stretch fast) - over all length of the loaded round (bullet seating depth). These can cause extreme pressure changes fast!

Sorry about the long post, my 4 year old grand daughter doesn't care.

Always error on the side of safety.

OSOK

Old 10-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

Many do not recognize the term "Book Load". Most books list a range of loads from starting load to maximum load. The Max load is NOT the Book Load!

3 1/2 grains under max is generally a very good accuracy load. My .308 load is about 2 grains under book max.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #6

Good point robocop10mm.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
Oh, by the way, 41.5 grains of IMR4064 with a Hornady 168-grain A-Max bullet works very well in my Savage bolt-action .308. The C.O.L. is 2.80. 42.0 grains of IMR4895 with a Sierra 168-grain Matchking bullet produces great results also. The .308 is fun to load for.
I have had good results using varget and a 165SST 41.7 grains out of my savage

Old 10-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Many do not recognize the term "Book Load". Most books list a range of loads from starting load to maximum load. The Max load is NOT the Book Load!

3 1/2 grains under max is generally a very good accuracy load. My .308 load is about 2 grains under book max.
I stand corrected.
Several years ago I had a boss that put a fish bowl on her desk and anyone who used an acronym that she didn't understand had to put a dollar in the bowl. I didn't like her.
So, my apologies for not understanding your 'Book Load'. To this I say 'SWIKE0'. Opps there goes another dollar. (That means to start over from the preset condition.)

Enjoy.

OSOK

Old 10-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #9

Yea nolser 180grain with 40grain 2209 powder