Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   .308 reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/308-reloading-36683/)

Longtom 01-09-2011 08:29 PM

.308 reloading

I have about 300 rounds of brass. I've been shooting federal 150grn power shock blue bx. A friend offered to reload them for me. I would like to reload them with the same components as federal uses as they are very accurate in my rifle and perform well on what I hunt. Does anyone out there know what bullet powder and primer federal uses?

robocop10mm 01-10-2011 08:43 PM

I doubt Federal will release the recipe for their ammo. The primer is almost assuredly Federal. The bullet is not specified other than "Power Shok". Federal uses bullets from several makers like Sierra, Nosler and Barnes. I do not know if that bullet is an in house product or if it is subbed out.

As far as powder is concerned, it is very difficult to determine exactly what powder is used as they frequently use powders that are not canister powders. Canister powders are those available to the reloading public in "cannisters". Many of the large ammo makers have powders custom made to their specifications so trying to "fudge factor" a similar powder can be EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!

I would find a decent bullet of similar construction like the Winchester 150gr Power Point bullet and work up a load that shoots well.

Longtom 01-10-2011 09:35 PM

Thanks, I guess we'll have to work up a similar load.

JonM 01-11-2011 12:28 AM

ive found loading for 308 over the years hand loads are vastly better and more accurate than factory. you can pick better bullets and better powders. factory loads often ave up to .5 grain powder difference from bullet to bullet depending on maker and how much of a hangover the press operator(s) is running.

my soft point loads are on par with premium bthp target loads from the bullet makers for accuracy. my 168 grn bthp loads routinely go less than .5 moa

making sure the powder charge is exactly the same for each load is best single recipe for accuracy.

cpttango30 01-11-2011 12:35 AM

In my years of reloading I haven't meet a more forgiving round than the 308 win.

JonM 01-11-2011 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 419800)
In my years of reloading I haven't meet a more forgiving round than the 308 win.

thats prolly the only reason i get good results lol.

Logan2302 01-11-2011 09:40 AM

If you know a friend with a chronograph, check the loads you know are accurate and get the fps for them. Ask your friend to load them to near that speed and write down all his/her loading data for you. There are a lot of other things you can do, but I'd start there if I could.

Chronos aren't expensive like they were when I really needed them. I try new shells from time to time, but most of my loads have been proofed for over 25 years now.

I'll bet it will spark your interest In reloading more!

Catfish 01-11-2011 06:27 PM

Commerical loaders use bulk powder and not canister powder. They buy their powder in large volumes and the burn rate form batch to batch varies so they rework their load to match the burn rate of the new batch of powder. Most reloading manuals will list a factory dupe load though. Besides that, even if your gun shoot well with factory load how do you know it won`t shoot better with a load that isn`t even close to factory????