.308 powder questions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .308 powder questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hastings,Nebraska
Posts: 298
Liked 81 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default For .308 Winchester?

Out of several powders in the 'middle' range, I find IMR 4985 works very well for me. I shoot the same ammo in both a Garand (yes, in .308 Win) and a Remington 700 bolt gun.

With 174 grain match bullets (G. I. surplus from where I bought them) over 41.0 grains of IMR 4895 I get excellent results. (That's a top end load, but not over what my book shows as 'do not exceed'.)

The group shown measures just under two inches and as the notation shows, was fired at 285 yards at a local match in front of witnesses. The shot on the far left was from the next target and not mine. Fired from a bench rest, not offhand or prone. Yeah, I'm kind of bragging.

remington-700-308-285-yard-target-rest.jpg  
__________________

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

OldManMontgomery is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Va. mnts
Posts: 210
Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

90% of my .308 loads are cast bullets.

In my 700VS,factory loooooooooooong throat.....I quit looking for a bullet,220's weren't getting anywhere near the rifling.So,if loading for Deer....give me a handful of Sierra 150 plainbase'd Gamekings and some Varget.Loaded to book "max".

__________________
Intheshop is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 10,264
Liked 6607 Times on 3681 Posts
Likes Given: 6264

Default

I've never found anything better than H335 in the .308.

locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
25-5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,430
Liked 848 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I've never found anything better than H335 in the .308.
Just curious. Do you trickle your powder to scale or just dump it by volume.
__________________

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

25-5 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: nowhere,that other state
Posts: 944
Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Default

VV N550 will give you some screaming velocity at less than screaming pressures. Gotta love a good double based powder.

__________________
gunnut07 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 10,264
Liked 6607 Times on 3681 Posts
Likes Given: 6264

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
Just curious. Do you trickle your powder to scale or just dump it by volume.
I set the measure with a Redding scale, and dump charges from the measure into the case.

I even dump with large extruded powders.

I've done rather extensive testing with super accurate varmint and target rifles, and I can tell no difference in accuracy between dumped charges and hand weighed charges.

I guess that's why the bench rest boys dump from the measure. Many believe that volumetric consistency is more important than weight consistency.
__________________

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
25-5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,430
Liked 848 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

I set the measure with a Redding scale, and dump charges from the measure into the case.

I even dump with large extruded powders.

I've done rather extensive testing with super accurate varmint and target rifles, and I can tell no difference in accuracy between dumped charges and hand weighed charges.

I guess that's why the bench rest boys dump from the measure. Many believe that volumetric consistency is more important than weight consistency.
Thank you. I was told this, but was skeptical. I have received my parts for dumping from Dillon and am set to experiment. I use Varget for my .308, but will give your powder a try too.
__________________

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

25-5 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:06 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 10,264
Liked 6607 Times on 3681 Posts
Likes Given: 6264

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
Thank you. I was told this, but was skeptical. I have received my parts for dumping from Dillon and am set to experiment. I use Varget for my .308, but will give your powder a try too.
I think you'll be pleased with it. The first "batch" of 335 that I bought was 100 pounds. It cost me $135. this was MilSurp.

A week later, I called Hodgdon for another 100 pounds, and they were sold out.

It seems that some joker had won a world bench rest championship shooting a .308 with H335. They sold out of several million pounds in 48 hours.
__________________

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BlueTurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boise,ID
Posts: 1,030
Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

I have tried many different powders for loading .308, for use in both my bolt-action Savage and NM M1A. I use the 168-grain bullets for all of my loads. I can tell you that overall I have had the best luck with IMR4064 hands down. It has produced very good loads with great consistency. I have also had good results with IMR4895 and Varget using both rifles. IMR3031 produced a good target load for my M1A. H335 is great for my 30-30 loads but I have not tried it it for .308.

__________________
BlueTurf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 10,264
Liked 6607 Times on 3681 Posts
Likes Given: 6264

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
I have tried many different powders for loading .308, for use in both my bolt-action Savage and NM M1A. I use the 168-grain bullets for all of my loads. I can tell you that overall I have had the best luck with IMR4064 hands down. It has produced very good loads with great consistency. I have also had good results with IMR4895 and Varget using both rifles. IMR3031 produced a good target load for my M1A. H335 is great for my 30-30 loads but I have not tried it it for .308.


Those are all excellent powders. For my taste, I prefer to stick with spherical powders over extruded powders whenever possible, mostly because they flow through the measure so much more smoothly.

I think you'll find that H335, and BlC#2 will both work extremely well in your 308s.
__________________

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Questions? Only questions game? winds-of-change The Club House 460 09-26-2013 12:19 AM
Matching performance of smokeless powder with a black powder shotgun Scratchammo Blackpowder & Musket 16 07-08-2013 02:22 PM
new powder saitek Ammunition & Reloading 0 02-20-2012 03:54 AM
Black powder derringer questions donthav1 Blackpowder & Musket 3 06-18-2011 04:59 AM
assistance with non ffl black powder gun questions wildthing Blackpowder & Musket 3 12-13-2009 10:08 PM