Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   .308 cases. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/308-cases-79827/)

jjfuller1 12-30-2012 06:15 PM

.308 cases.

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a few I have been using. Probly around 5 or 6 loadings. I discovered these super small cracks in the same place on the neck. I assume you will all say not to use them. But curious what you think it's from. They are not cracked all the way through. Just a small dent almost. Also was looking for info on the headstamp as its kinda different. NATO symbol, 67, wra

Sniper03 12-30-2012 06:21 PM

JJ,

When I use to bench rest shoot. I would only load casing 3 to 4 times max.
It is not worth the risk to load them more than that to be safe. In bench rest shooting you find 5 casings that are as identical as possible regarding capacity and shoot great groups together. But I normally would only load them a max of 4 rounds if the inspection was fine.

dustinoif3 12-30-2012 11:40 PM

Wra is Winchester repeating arms and the 67 is prolly 1967 born date. Did you fire these cases initially? Like when they came out of the cardboard box? Did they have a red material around the primer? I'm sure about the dent. I've read that over lubricating before running through the resizing die will cause dent around the shoulder? I use spray lube and haven't seen it first hand. Have you cleaned your size die lately?

jjfuller1 12-31-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinoif3
Wra is Winchester repeating arms and the 67 is prolly 1967 born date. Did you fire these cases initially? Like when they came out of the cardboard box? Did they have a red material around the primer? I'm sure about the dent. I've read that over lubricating before running through the resizing die will cause dent around the shoulder? I use spray lube and haven't seen it first hand. Have you cleaned your size die lately?

No, I didn't see the original firing. These came from my uncle years ago along with the rifle. I know I helped reload them a few times. And I did it once. This is the first I saw the cracks. My die is newish. A year old maybe.

Txhillbilly 12-31-2012 12:12 AM

I'm thinking like Dustin,it looks like you need to clean your resizing die.
Too much lube will collect in your dies,and will dent your brass right where your brass shows it.I use a spray brake cleaner to clean out my dies,and then blow them out with an air compressor.
You should also anneal your brass if you want it to last longer. I anneal my brass every 3 firings,and have some brass that's lasted over 10 reloads before it's trashed.

dustinoif3 12-31-2012 01:00 AM

Newish but how many cases have run through it? I messed around and ran 500 .233 cases into a brand new set within a couple weeks. Run a q tip up them and see how nasty they are. May have to disassemble and spray cleaner as mention from tex. The reason i asked about the first firing was because military brass have crimped primers. I have some m2 ball ammo for the 30-06 and its crimped with a head stamp from the 80's I think? I'm going to have to check now when I get home. If the brass didn't have a crimp it had the red sealant they put around the primer and where the bullet and neck meet. Maybe that's what they did before crimps. I need to do some googling I suppose. To get the number of reloading's you got out of that brass did you load light? Was it for an M1A by chance?

jjfuller1 12-31-2012 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinoif3
Newish but how many cases have run through it? I messed around and ran 500 .233 cases into a brand new set within a couple weeks. Run a q tip up them and see how nasty they are. May have to disassemble and spray cleaner as mention from tex. The reason i asked about the first firing was because military brass have crimped primers. I have some m2 ball ammo for the 30-06 and its crimped with a head stamp from the 80's I think? I'm going to have to check now when I get home. If the brass didn't have a crimp it had the red sealant they put around the primer and where the bullet and neck meet. Maybe that's what they did before crimps. I need to do some googling I suppose. To get the number of reloading's you got out of that brass did you load light? Was it for an M1A by chance?

Mid load, for win mod 70

robocop10mm 12-31-2012 02:49 AM

+1000 on the anealing. I aneal .308 every time because I usually pick up a few cases of unknown origin.

locutus 01-01-2013 11:54 PM

.308 (7.62X51) and 5.56X45 I buy MilSurp by the thousand. I load them til I see signs of fatigue, usually 7-10 times, and pitch them. I no longer anneal except rare, expensive cases like .416 Rigby.

Holmes375 01-02-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 1075424)
.308 (7.62X51) and 5.56X45 I buy MilSurp by the thousand. I load them til I see signs of fatigue, usually 7-10 times, and pitch them. I no longer anneal except rare, expensive cases like .416 Rigby.

Pretty much my routine, too.

I do keep my brass segregated in lots of same batch and once I see any signs of stress I know the batch is ready to retire.

And I must confess that I hate annealing brass. I do anneal my .500 NE pieces though - cost trumps my laziness :)