300 ultra mag loads?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 300 ultra mag loads?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 06:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
500mag_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 180
Default 300 ultra mag loads?

hey guys does anyone have any good loads worked up for the 300 ultra mag shooting a 180gr.?
Whats the best bullet to shot large game with while staying with the 180 gr?
thanks for any help.

__________________
500mag_guy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 06-19-2010, 03:10 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,068
Liked 741 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Default

Go to the Manufacturers site on the powder you want to use.
IMR:
180 GR. NOS PART

DIA: .308"

COL: 3.600"
IMR 4350 80.5 3110 62,000 PSI
IMR 4831 81.4 3070 60,000 PSI
IMR 7828 87.0 3140 61,000 PSI
180 GR. SFT SCIR

DIA: .308"

COL: 3.600"
IMR 4350 79.0 3070 62,000 PSI
IMR 4831 82.9 3060 60,000 PSI
IMR 7828 88.6 3100 59,000 PSI

__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 31
Default

Because of the high velocity of the cartridge, you will do well with premium bullets if hunting large game, especially at closer ranges. Some good choices are Barnes TTSX, Swift A-Frame, Trophy Bonded and Nosler Partition. Personally, I always load Barnes TSX and TTSX in all my big game rifles. I've gotten outstanding performance with them. IMO they are worth the extra cost above conventional bullets.

__________________
Laser boresighter Rifle Scopes
375shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
joshfireart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 267
Default copper vs lead jacketed hunting bullets

I live around a half dozen OUTFITTERS and they all claim that if you cant sign your hunting tag with your bullet dont us it. the horror stories they tell well make you a believer. I've read countless post here that swear by there copper bullets or there ballistic tip bullets. I shoot a lot Nossler ballistic tips in my
22-250 and love them. never loaded any Barns bullets, In my mag. riffles i shoot Speer Grand Slam

__________________
joshfireart is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
500mag_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfireart View Post
I live around a half dozen OUTFITTERS and they all claim that if you cant sign your hunting tag with your bullet dont us it. the horror stories they tell well make you a believer. I've read countless post here that swear by there copper bullets or there ballistic tip bullets. I shoot a lot Nossler ballistic tips in my
22-250 and love them. never loaded any Barns bullets, In my mag. riffles i shoot Speer Grand Slam
oh boy for big game you cant bet the barnes triple shock i shoot them out on my 338 win mag and i love them!!! They have incredible knock down power and you cant beat them at all!

barnes-1.jpg

barnes-2.jpg
__________________
500mag_guy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
500mag_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 180
Default

the first barnes triple shock going left to right is out of my bear i shot in the front shoulders at 350 yards the second is out of a cow elk i shot at 300 yards and the third is out of a mule deer that jumped up about 50 yards in front of me. all the bullets were right on the opposite side just inside the skin and everything between a entrance and the bullet was blown into a million pieces. the triple shock unloads all its power inside the animal.

__________________
500mag_guy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
500mag_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfireart View Post
I live around a half dozen OUTFITTERS and they all claim that if you cant sign your hunting tag with your bullet dont us it. the horror stories they tell well make you a believer. I've read countless post here that swear by there copper bullets or there ballistic tip bullets. I shoot a lot Nossler ballistic tips in my
22-250 and love them. never loaded any Barns bullets, In my mag. riffles i shoot Speer Grand Slam
on the bigger picture it is opposite its right to left and on the little picture its left to right.
__________________
500mag_guy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:43 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
500mag_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 375shooter View Post
Because of the high velocity of the cartridge, you will do well with premium bullets if hunting large game, especially at closer ranges. Some good choices are Barnes TTSX, Swift A-Frame, Trophy Bonded and Nosler Partition. Personally, I always load Barnes TSX and TTSX in all my big game rifles. I've gotten outstanding performance with them. IMO they are worth the extra cost above conventional bullets.
well if you recover any of the barnes triple shocks they will look like the ones ive poster
__________________
500mag_guy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:27 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 31
Default

I have recovered two 300 grain .375 TSX's from 2 moose that I shot, and they look identical to the one you have pictured. The same for two 53 grainers using a .223 on deer. There have been many other kills on deer and black bear using .308 and .375 H&H, with outstanding results (complete pass throughs with no bullets recovered). I really can't say enough good stuff about Barnes TSX bullets.

__________________
Laser boresighter Rifle Scopes
375shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:41 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
500mag_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 375shooter View Post
I have recovered two 300 grain .375 TSX's from 2 moose that I shot, and they look identical to the one you have pictured. The same for two 53 grainers using a .223 on deer. There have been many other kills on deer and black bear using .308 and .375 H&H, with outstanding results (complete pass throughs with no bullets recovered). I really can't say enough good stuff about Barnes TSX bullets.
i agree 100%!

What kind of 375 h&h do you have?
__________________
500mag_guy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Kimber Raptor Ultra... CCW357 1911 Forum 4 11-13-2010 02:37 AM
300 ultra mag? 500mag_guy General Rifle Discussion 15 06-19-2010 08:17 PM
Hand loads for Carry Loads....? BILLYBOB44 Ammunition & Reloading 34 08-18-2009 04:53 PM
Kimber Ultra CDP II falseharmonix General Handgun Discussion 6 02-11-2009 03:03 AM