Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 30-06 Reloads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 30-06 Reloads

I Have a friend who has had some 30-06 ammo reloaded by two different people and the bullets won't work. He states that the bolt will not close all the way, it lacks about 1/8". I think maybe the brass was not sized correctly but wanted too get some more ideas.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #2

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

The fact that two people loaded ammo and neither chambers correctly makes me wonder if he's got a rifle thats chambered on the tight side. Its always possible both parties only partially sized the brass or neck sized it only but thats a bit coincidental.
Possibly have a chamber cast done and mic the cast with a factory round as well as the handloads. small base dies may be in order.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16831 Times on 9754 Posts
Likes Given: 43896

sounds like maybe the bullets aren't seated deep enough. definately something is wrong.

another thing comes to mind, are the two reloaders knowledgeable enough to be reloading ammo for other people?

there are two people i trust to reload ammo for my firearms, myself or my father. i trust my father because he's the one who taught me a lot about reloading and he is much more a perfectionist than me.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #4

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

Axxe brings up a good point about seating depth. An easy way to check is smoke the bullet with a candle. that is hold a candle flame under the bullet and smoke it until it turns black, chamber that round and eject it and check the bullet for rifling marks. (Remember to observe proper safety precautions.) What this means is the bullet is jammed against the rifling due to an excessive overall length. If such is the case DO NOT fire those rounds. Not having the bit of gap between bullet and rifling can lead to excessive pressure.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedpony View Post
Axxe brings up a good point about seating depth. An easy way to check is smoke the bullet with a candle. that is hold a candle flame under the bullet and smoke it until it turns black, chamber that round and eject it and check the bullet for rifling marks. (Remember to observe proper safety precautions.) What this means is the bullet is jammed against the rifling due to an excessive overall length. If such is the case DO NOT fire those rounds. Not having the bit of gap between bullet and rifling can lead to excessive pressure.
very good point Spottedpony. exactly the method i use for shallow seating of my bullets that don't have a cannelure groove. the only difference is that i use a black magic marker and let it dry. shouldn't rub off as easily.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:33 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 440

If the cases that were reloaded are from another rifle and weren't resized with a full length sizing die,that would be the first issue to check. Each rifle/barrel is different,and if the cases have just been neck sized,they will not fit in another gun 99% of the time. If the dies aren't properly set-up,that can cause issues also,by not setting the shoulder of the cases back. Case gauges come in very handy for correctly setting up sizing dies.
Bullet seating depth could also be the problem,but I'd bet money on it being a case sizing issue.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
If the cases that were reloaded are from another rifle and weren't resized with a full length sizing die,that would be the first issue to check. Each rifle/barrel is different,and if the cases have just been neck sized,they will not fit in another gun 99% of the time. If the dies aren't properly set-up,that can cause issues also,by not setting the shoulder of the cases back. Case gauges come in very handy for correctly setting up sizing dies.
Bullet seating depth could also be the problem,but I'd bet money on it being a case sizing issue.
didn't think about that. i load cases shot from my rifles and reload them for that same rifle.

that's a good point and possible reason. every rifle can have variances in the chamber.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #8

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Does the factory ammo work ok? Check the COL of factory compared to the reloads.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin