Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 30-06 reloader dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #11

Default neck size

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Just back the die off a scootch and the important shoulder dimension isnt touched. Most older loading manuals describe how to do it. I got it out of one of my old speer manuals. It comes down to the fl die sizes the body a little doesnt reset the shoulder and sizes the neck. I get more uniform results when im using that method on fire formed brass than using just a neck sizer.

Still need to trim after sizing and check headspace. When i do this whether using a neck sizer or fl to neck size chambering can be difficult on some brass. Seems to be dependent on how many times the brass has been used between fl sizing and annealing.

I get kinda lax and sometimes mix up brass or lose track of firings.

Umh, that's funny. I get much better and much more consistant and accurate and foolproof results with a cartridge specific neck die than by partial sizing w/ a FL die. And NOT the collet type from Lee, but the actual neck sizing dies from RCBS, Redding, or Lyman. But, to each his own I suppose.
ct

Old 05-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #12

Default sizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
Ok so since I'm reloading for two different guns get the full length. Got it.

Right, but completely full length resize all of the brass if you mix the brass up. If you neck size only, keep the brass separate; i.e., one group of brass for each gun.
ct

locutus Likes This 
Old 05-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have both cause I use some pulled cases and some once fired. I only load for my Garand so I use the neck sizer after I have fired them once through my rifle and the full length for all once fired.

Retired USAF and postal. NRA Life member. Handloader since 1960. 10 years Deputy.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:12 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For the Garand (I have one) you want to full size...that's going to be the case with any semiauto. Neck sizing only works best for use with a single gun, non semi. Just my opinion.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5285 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Umh, that's funny. I get much better and much more consistant and accurate and foolproof results with a cartridge specific neck die than by partial sizing w/ a FL die. And NOT the collet type from Lee, but the actual neck sizing dies from RCBS, Redding, or Lyman. But, to each his own I suppose.
ct
Mileage does vary in most things. In handloading technique is 90%. With partially sizing the case i get better feed and bolt lockup on the savage and 03a3. I always seem to have difficult time getting the 308 savage and the 30-06 A3 to close correctly and extract smoothly if i just use a neck sizer.

Im prolly doing something wrong with the neck size dies but damned if i know what it is

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 884 Times on 589 Posts
Likes Given: 1157

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
I think you need the full length die if your loading for different rifles. The neck die is used for loading for only 1 rifle. That's pretty basic but oughta get ya going.
I'd like to add, neck size as trip said is correct, but better for bolt action rifles.

Semis tend to need a bit more sizing on the shoulder

Become steel or get cut.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 200 Times on 129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor
Getting ready to order a set of dies for my and my brothers 30-06. I noticed that there is two different types. A full size die and a neck size die. I'm not sure which one to get or do I need both?
I recommend a three die set with both neck and full length dies, plus the seater die.

This gives you the flexibility to use the neck sizer if you want to load for a specific rifle.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #18

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

We ordered the full length dies set from rcbs since me and my brother will be using it. But i believe a neck sizing die will be my next die to order for my gun only.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #19

I just bought the only gun powder I could find while up in Prescott. Hodgon vargas. Anybody using this for 30-06 reloading.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #20

Hodgon varket I think that is right