Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   30-06 reloader dies (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/30-06-reloader-dies-90195/)

Crazycastor 05-06-2013 01:52 AM

30-06 reloader dies

Getting ready to order a set of dies for my and my brothers 30-06. I noticed that there is two different types. A full size die and a neck size die. I'm not sure which one to get or do I need both?

MisterMcCool 05-06-2013 01:58 AM

Dang it! I was looking for a gruesome video or pictures of a crime scene.

trip 05-06-2013 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazycastor
Getting ready to order a set of dies for my and my brothers 30-06. I noticed that there is two different types. A full size die and a neck size die. I'm not sure which one to get or do I need both?

I think you need the full length die if your loading for different rifles. The neck die is used for loading for only 1 rifle. That's pretty basic but oughta get ya going.

clearsights 05-06-2013 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool (Post 1238222)
Dang it! I was looking for a gruesome video or pictures of a crime scene.

Ha!

JonM 05-06-2013 03:48 AM

get the full length sizer version. you can still set a full length die to neck size. it kinda does a better job that way than a true neck size die.

ive got a neck sizer for my 308 setup and im less than pleased with the results. ive gotten better consistant result by backinging off the full length sizer and using it to neck size

Crazycastor 05-06-2013 03:49 AM

Ok so since I'm reloading for two different guns get the full length. Got it.

Crazycastor 05-06-2013 03:52 AM

I've reloaded pistol rounds and I'm new to that but haven't reloaded any rifle rounds. Just checking to make sure I start off right

texaswoodworker 05-06-2013 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1238348)
get the full length sizer version. you can still set a full length die to neck size. it kinda does a better job that way than a true neck size die.

ive got a neck sizer for my 308 setup and im less than pleased with the results. ive gotten better consistant result by backinging off the full length sizer and using it to neck size

How do you just size the neck on a cartridge with a full length sizer die?

JonM 05-06-2013 01:07 PM

Just back the die off a scootch and the important shoulder dimension isnt touched. Most older loading manuals describe how to do it. I got it out of one of my old speer manuals. It comes down to the fl die sizes the body a little doesnt reset the shoulder and sizes the neck. I get more uniform results when im using that method on fire formed brass than using just a neck sizer.

Still need to trim after sizing and check headspace. When i do this whether using a neck sizer or fl to neck size chambering can be difficult on some brass. Seems to be dependent on how many times the brass has been used between fl sizing and annealing.

I get kinda lax and sometimes mix up brass or lose track of firings.

locutus 05-06-2013 07:26 PM

Also called "partial resizing." I've been doing it for 40 years. It works.:)