30-06 on dillon 550b
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 30-06 on dillon 550b

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default 30-06 on dillon 550b

I've been reloading pistol calibers for awhile now. Looking to start reloading for the garand and have die questions. Is anyone running 2 die sets or should I just get a 3 die set? Also is the seating/crimping a good idea or do I need a separate crimp die?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

i run a 2 die set to do .223 on my dillon 550b. i do all of my 30-06 on a single stage, again with a 2 die set. but if i were to do it on the dillon, i would still use the 2 die set. A 3 die set will seperate seating and crimping to avoid shaving the bullet on the mouth of the case while it's being crimped and seated at the same time. however, if you are experiencing this problem, you have your crimp adjusted wrong to start with.

same would go for pistol rounds on the dillon. therefore, 3 die sets are unnecessary for pistol rounds. you need a resizer and a seat/crimp die. the flaring die is basically provided in the caliber conversion kit and the powder measure will sit on top of it. then you resize/prime, flare/powder charge, seat/crimp, and still have an empty hole in the fourth stage. I suppose you can seperate seating and crimping if you absolutely cannot stand to look at an empty hole in the toolhead.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:12 AM   #3

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I always use 3 die sets on my 550s. I prefer to seat and crimp in separate stations.

Jim........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 05-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #4

Liked 2672 Times on 1208 Posts
Likes Given: 2577

I think seating and crimping is best done separately. By the way so does Dillon.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Okay guys. Thx for the info! One more question. On the 2 die are there differences? The other night I saw a 2 die set that the first die re-sized, de-primed and flared. The other die set/crimped. Is that normal on a 2 die set or can you get them to de-prime, re-size one station 1 then seat/crimp on three? Then I could just throw a powder funnel in station 2. I've already got shell plate one and #1 buttons from the 45acp conversion.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

I dont crimp rifle cartridges unless its going to be fired in a semiauto or lever gun or for something like a belted magnum type cartridge.

When i do crimp i do it as a seperate step. Ive found that crimp at the time of seating leads to poorer accuracy. I might be wrong its just my take on it. Ive had no interest in actually testing

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

K. I may be a little anal when it comes to loading and I've got separate crimp dies for all my pistol cartridges. I'll just start looking for a 4 die set or bite the bullet and buy a set from dillon. Thx!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6246 Times on 3510 Posts
Likes Given: 5836

I seat and crimp in separate operations.

I used a 650 when I did a lot of shooting, and I found that loading went smoother and faster if I resized/decapped on the old single stage press, and then did all other operations on the 650.

I always tumbled my brass in corn cob media after sizing to remove the lube. On the 650, I used a RCBS universal decapping die in the sizing stage to knock out any corncob media that stuck in the flash hole.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old 05-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do a 2 step on my Dillon 650 (But I also did this on my old 550 b4 I got the 650). Station 1 has a standard full length Dillon die to size and decap. Station 2 is empty. Station 3 has a Dillon 1200 trimmer. Station 4 is empty. Station 5 has a lee universal flaring die ( I do this because all of my rounds are Crimped and it makes it easier to insert the projectile in step 2).

After cleaning the lube off, If its military first reload, I swage the brass.

Step 2 is this: Station 1 is a lee Universal decaping die (will remove any stuck corn cob). Station 2 standard Dillon powder measure (w/extra capacity tube). Station 3 is a Dillon powder check system. Station 4 is a bullet seating Dillon die. Station 5 is a std Dillon crimp die.

Note if your using a 550, you cannot use the lee universal flaring die.

This setup makes perfect ammo.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6246 Times on 3510 Posts
Likes Given: 5836

Might just be me, but I much better results with Redding Pro dies than I did with Dillon dies.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz